cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n Fibre - RDP/FTP VPN connection to the sever at home

samay007

Technicolor TG582n Fibre - RDP/FTP VPN connection to the sever at home

Hi, I'm after for a bit of advice to able to connect from outside to the server at home. I have the above said router and a static IP address with plusnet fibre connection. I'm looking for a secure (VPN) connection with RDP and FTP protocol to my home windows 7 PC. I would like to know if I need to buy a new router, as Technicolor does not support incoming VPN connection (I guess not modem, as it was supplied by BT open reach)
my questions are:
1. Is there a solution for getting VPN to work with default fibre connection with any third party applications?
2. If I need a new router, can you provide some lists which can work with plusnet fibre connection and provide stable incoming "VPN" connections
3. can we use "All-in-one-device" (Router and modem) that are available on the market at the moment. In that case what will be the configuration for the modem (as the previous was supplied by BT Open Reach)
many thanks in advance...
2 REPLIES 2
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Technicolor TG582n Fibre - RDP/FTP VPN connection to the sever at home

Simplest would be to run a VPN server on the home machine and forward the relevant ports.  Look at OpenVPN or L2TP/IPSec servers (eg this one for instance - Not tried it)
As you're aware, some routers also include a VPN server eg the Asus RT-N66U, Billion 7800X and others.  Also look at Draytek...
samay007

Re: Technicolor TG582n Fibre - RDP/FTP VPN connection to the sever at home

Thanks, I will give a try on SoftEther and check how it works...