cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n FTTC router constantly crashing

Sikozu

Technicolor TG582n FTTC router constantly crashing

I have been experiencing constant crashing with my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router. I do not believe this is a general internet issue as the BT OR modem with its DSL light stays on, whilst all the lights on the router go off. A few seconds later it starts to boot up again and the lights start to come on. Just before it gets an internet connection it will crash again. When it starts up this time it will go through and get itself stable again. I experience these crashes several times a night for a few days and then it will behave for a week or so. Sometimes I will get a new external IP, sometimes not.
I've tried restoring factory settings many times but it still persists. As for the cause, well general internet and gaming usage doesn't seem to be the problem. When I am performing tasks across the internal network that is when it seems to crash (remote desktop, file transfer etc) but once it has done it once then it can crash from any usage a few minutes later.
Any ideas? Let me know if there is any more information I can provide.
6 REPLIES 6
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Technicolor TG582n FTTC router constantly crashing

Other than the obvious of a faulty router.
I would check the power supplies of other devices in the home. Cheap laptop power supplies can sometimes give out rf interference which could cause this sort of thing. I have personally experienced this issue with a power supply for a usb hard disk enclosure.
Check by placing the power supply near a AM radio tuned to a quiet spot in the medium wave. A good power supply should produce no interference on the radio.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I found that most power supplies, including the one that came with the 582n, give out interference detectable with an AM radio.
Tibbie
Grafter

Mine did the same, four to five drops a day, give Plusnet a call, they will talk you through how to connect your modem directly to your PC, this will prove router or connection, I also monitor my line using Think Broadband BQM.
In my case it was my router, they sent me a replacement foc, but I went and bought an ASUS RT-N66U  Cheesy
nils1992

Hi Guys,
Just joined plusnet fibre and have the same issue my Technicolor router seems to be crashing every time it gets a higher load like a time machine backup or downloading bigger data however it's not the connection dropping because the web interface of that router is also inaccessible. I've an AirPort Extreme running behind that router as well has anyone experience how that performs if I set it to do the PPOE stuff and take the Technicolor out?
I also have a static ip and I'm not sure if it works with my Airport Extreme?
Thanks
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi All,
@Sikozu and nils1992 - Have you both spoken with support to see if we can either toubleshoot/diagnose and fix the problem or look at replacing the hardware for you?
nils1992

Hi Adam, I've actually replaced it with my AirPort Extreme no problems since then so I must have either a faulty router or the technicolor is in general not the best piece of hardware.
Anyway now working with my own hardware and I'm happy
Thanks