cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n FTTC WPOS

Phaeton
Rising Star

Technicolor TG582n FTTC WPOS

Is the Technicolor TG582n FTTC the Worthless Piece of S*** that it appears to be, you cannot change the default set of internal IP address, you cannot define static IP's, you cannot restrict the number of IP's all pretty basic stuff. Port forwarding is a joke, so what other router can it be replaced with as it's not fit for purpose as far as I'm concerned.
Alan...
28 REPLIES 28
mcorne
Dabbler

Re: Technicolor TG582n FTTC WPOS

Welcome to my world Tongue Can't withhold a connection to my Chromebook, awful range and often struggles to push a 360p video to a computer about 4m away!
You can define static IP addresses it is just painful to find! Well from what I can find (I'm no expert) go to Home Network -> Devices -> select the hostname and choose "Always use the same IP address". So you can't define it yourself but it can be static.
Port forwarding works a lot better than the TG585v7! What sort of problems are you having there?
And the internal IP, can't see why you'd want to change it but yeah as far as I know, you are stuck.
Replacement wise, what sort of price range would you be looking at? I've always liked Netgears personally Smiley
taras
Grafter

mapletree
Grafter

The TG582N is listed as an ADSL router on the technicolor site.  How it is being used for FTTC?
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: mapletree
TG582N is listed as an ADSL router.  How it is being used for FTTC?

As I understand it with modified firmware and connecting to fibre modem using one of the lan ports, so end user only gets three lan ports to connect to.
With all the bad feedback I see about the TG682n I am starting to be worried about my install due Friday this week.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
mapletree
Grafter

It seems a strange choice to use a modified ADSL router when there are plenty of routers designed for cable/fibre.
quelquod
Pro

Quote from: Phaeton
... you cannot change the default set of internal IP address, you cannot define static IP's, you cannot restrict the number of IP's all pretty basic stuff. Port forwarding is a joke...

I think its more accurate to say that many of the settings can only be changes by command line rather than gui. My IPs are all different to default and many are static as they aren't dhcp-capable. Can't comment on port forwarding. The only problem that I have is that wireless range is poor compared with other routers that I have used. I think the 582 probably uses a printed antenna (haven't opened it up) and orientation isn't very good. I would't call it unfit for purpose just because of the wireless range and restricted gui, just not as good as more expensive ones.
Quote from: mapletree
... there are plenty of routers designed for cable/fibre.

Standard practice to standardise hardware designs and adapt to different applications and markets by firmware/software. Vastly cheaper and more flexible than respinning hardware builds.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
mapletree
Grafter

That's really beside the point.  Why get a ADSL router and use some modified and non-standard firmware when you can buy a cable router for a similar price that does not need any changes?
prichardson
Grafter

The router we ship for Fibre comes with a integrated ADSL2+ modem. The device itself either on Fibre or DSL, is a multipurpose unit and is not just designed to be a ADSL2+ only unit.
Within our Fibre unit, we have designed defaults most subtitle for our Fibre service and to operate in a user friendly way when in this config. This includes how the LEDs operate based on the units connection status both physically (cables) and connection status (authentication / internet access).
Although not features of our unit, the TG582 can also operate with 3G backup.
In regards to changing the IP address, the DHCP IP ranges and setting static IPs. These are all possible via the user interface. Although not the most obvious of designs, there are a few features it employs to protect from accidental changes which may be causing you the confusion.
I would recommend changing the DHCP range first. To do this, select Home Network from the left, then Interfaces that then shows unit this link. In the centre section, then select LocalNetwork.
This provides a summary / read only view, you then need to select Configure in the top right.
In order to obtain and use the edit feature for DHCP, you will first need to untick the DHCP option and save this. Edit will then be available. Once you have changed any DHCP settings, remember re-tick and save to enable the server.
Changing the units IP can be done in a similar way. There should be no need to disable DHCP in order to do this. I would not recommend adding an IP range, but editing the existing 192.168.1.254 IP.
One quirk you may encounter when editing either of these is that you are recommended to leave the unit for 10 minutes after editing any settings and then reboot it. I have noticed that without a reboot, you may be logged out of the web-interface quicker than expected before it is rebooted.
dave141070

Using Technicolour TG582n router I only get less than half of possible speeds when using wireless and so I have tried a new router with existing modem however I cannot get this to work and wonder if anyone else has connected D-link RangeBooster N 650 DIR-635 router to plusnet value fibre broadband modem?
Help much appreciated
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: dave141070
I cannot get this to work and wonder if anyone else has connected D-link RangeBooster N 650 DIR-635 router to plusnet value fibre broadband modem?
Help much appreciated

Taken from another site, it might help.
Log in to the router setup page at http://192.168.1.1 (username: admin password: admin)
On the main page, click on Manual Internet Connection Setup
Enter the following settings:
- My Internet Connection is: PPPoE (Username / Password)
- Choose Dynamic PPPoE
- User Name: Enter your ISP username (e.g: myusername@slowband.co.uk)
- Password: Enter your ISP password
- Retype Password: Enter your ISP password again
- Service Name: Leave blank
- IP Address: Leave blank
- Choose Receive DNS from ISP
- Maximum Idle Time: 0
- MTU: 1492
- Connet mode select: Always
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
maksy

Quote from: P

Changing the units IP can be done in a similar way. There should be no need to disable DHCP in order to do this. I would not recommend adding an IP range, but editing the existing 192.168.1.254 IP.

Could you please expand a little on how to change the IP. I can disable the DHCP by un-ticking the box. when rebooted I cant access the GUI (192.168.1.254) to change the IP.
If I try to change the IP I am comfronted with 3x IP address and dont know whether to a) leave and ADD new, b) delete and ADD new or c) modify
screen dump attached

SOLVED (maybe not the correct way but it has worked)
I went with option c) although P Richardson advised not to do this.
It has saved the setting and now I have my network extended with a 2nd TG582n giving me more ethernet ports.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I went through this trying to get real static ips assigned to a couple of pc's.
I selected the always use same etc, but when I rebooted one of them it came up with a DIFFERENT IP ADDRESS - so much for static!
I no longer use the supplied router, and bought a Netgear that works as described static ip's and all.
Biomech
Dabbler

Is the Technicolor TG582n FTTC the Worthless Piece of S*** that it appears to be, you cannot change the default set of internal IP address, you cannot define static IP's, you cannot restrict the number of IP's all pretty basic stuff. Port forwarding is a joke, so what other router can it be replaced with as it's not fit for purpose as far as I'm concerne

Yes, but it is a £4.99 router so you can't expect masses of features. More importantly, it's a WPOS because it can't manage the network and the wireless is atrocious.
Many people, myself included, have found HUGE improvements by replacing the router with something else.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Biomech
[Yes, but it is a £4.99 router so you can't expect masses of features. More importantly, it's a WPOS because it can't manage the network and

I wish people would take note IT IS NOT A £4.99 router. It is a £44.99 router. The £40 is added to your account, look in your account details it will be there. It is removed if you stay for 12 months, but it is still NOT A £5 router.