cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n FTTC Static DNS Persistence

NivagSwerdna
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n FTTC Static DNS Persistence

(Firstly,,, moved to PlusNet Fibre, from BeThere, a few months back... loving it!)
I have the stock Technicolor TG582n FTTC router and performance is good so I'm trying to stick with it.
I have a number of services within my LAN which ultimately I will share with the outside world.  It is therefore important than when connected locally a device gets DNS resolution to the correct machine on the LAN and when a device connects from outside they get served a DNS entry of my static IP on the WAN side.  The WAN side works fine.
For local devices I do not run my own DNS but instead am trying to configure static entries in the router (so when devices resolve via the router they get the LAN address).
e.g.
If I have mymail.mydomain.com and my server is 192.168.1.10 on the LAN and my static IP is 1.2.3.4 I have a DNS service at my domain name supplier that points to 1.2.3.4 and locally I have an entry that points to 192.168.1.10
I can add local entries using the CLI as follows...
dns server host
add name=mymail domain=mydomain.com addr=192.168.1.10

and then...
config saveall
This works well for a while...

{admin}[dns server host]=>list
Address          Hostname                    TTL (s) Domain                                                    Creator
192.168.1.10    mymail                        0 <local>                                                undefined
{admin}[dns server host]=>

but after a while it goes wrong and the entries appear to have been replaced...
{admin}[dns server host]=>list
Address          Hostname                    TTL (s) Domain                                                                                                                      Creator
192.168.1.225    mymail                              0 <local>           
                                                                                                        undefined
This is really weird.  I don't have a .225 device. But .225 is in my DHCP pool.  My network has some LAN devices... and a Wireless LAN and on the Wireless LAN is a Client Bridge (DDWRT) and more devices on the LAN side of the Client Bridge.
Any idea what is messing with my static DNS entries
Thanks in advance
Nivag