cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n FTTC: DLNA interference

Fevvahz
Hooked

Technicolor TG582n FTTC: DLNA interference

Hello - I've current got the Plusnet 80/20 FTTC service, which is great, but since I've started using the TG852n router following the upgrade from 40/10, I've had no end of problems with DLNA on my internal network.
The network consists of
Technicolor TG582n FTTC (Firmware: 8.C.M.0 Variant: DG)
Cisco 2950 48 Port  Switch
Samsung BD-E5500 SmartTV Blu-ray player
Zyxel NSA 325 NAS box
At first I thought it was down to the media devices, either the Zyxel running Twonky server 7.0.9, or the Blu-ray player.  I've tried all sorts of combinations of IP assignment and checked the forums of all the devices involved for any clues.  However today I went back to basics and disconnected the TG582.
...and everything worked fine.  Now I'd assumed that becuase I'd disabled the uPNP and content sharing in the routers interface, that it'd be disabled.  I've checked using a couple of apps that I'd never usually look at - the customer friendly, big cuddly GUI type things for the Zyxel and the Samsund Allshare app - and the TG582 is still showing up as a media device.  All I want it to do is be a router (as its pretty good at it!).
Is there a firmware upgrade that anyone has had that has sorted this issue?  I found this thread where bigbolam had a similar issue, but it sounds like he was using the router as a switch too, whereas I have the Cisco switch doing that role - the mere presence of the router on the network is causing the problem. 
It looks like Plusnets Matt Turner upgraded bigbolams firmware to  10.2.2.9 and sorted the issue.  Could this be carried out for mine perhaps?
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Technicolor TG582n FTTC: DLNA interference

Nope if it has a usb port it will advertise itself as a media server
pengbo
Grafter

Why such a high end switch?  although a bit old now they are cisco and will probably go forever and if memory serves they are amazingly programmable assuming you can get your head around the cisco os.  Maybe doing a search of the cisco docs will turn up some examples of how to prevent the router broadcasting it's media server availability?
Fevvahz
Hooked

Quote from: Hairy
Nope if it has a usb port it will advertise itself as a media server

Ugh! Now that is a PITA!
Quote from: pengbo
Why such a high end switch?  although a bit old now they are cisco and will probably go forever and if memory serves they are amazingly programmable assuming you can get your head around the cisco os.  Maybe doing a search of the cisco docs will turn up some examples of how to prevent the router broadcasting it's media server availability?

They're cheap, made by Cisco, and will run forever - as you say.  It was the best solution available at the time, and a huge number of ports it just what I need.  I'll check out the switch documentation and see if it can help, but I'd prefer it if the router just did what it was told!
Thanks
pengbo
Grafter

Quote from: Fevvahz
but I'd prefer it if the router just did what it was told!

I whole heartedly agree with you there  Grin  I did enough time bashing my head against one of these with BE so going to be changing mine soon as well to one that is a little more user friendly
Still having a backup that you know works and is supported can't hurt in an emergency
Fevvahz
Hooked

Is there anywhere on the plus.net site that allows users to download newer firmware for the router themselves?  I've not found anything yet...
apjashley1
Grafter

Yeah on Matt's own site you can download the firmware 10.2.2.9 and upgrade at home using UpgradeWizard from BE's site. Not too difficult if you're on Windows, Mac people have it harder.
You can disable the internal DLNA server and USB port from Telnet on 8.4.4.J, on later firmware it seems to be locked.