cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n FTTC Actual Speed [Mbps]:

robertjohn
Grafter

Technicolor TG582n FTTC Actual Speed [Mbps]:

I should be grateful if someone would advise me what "Actual Speed [Mbps]:" means in "Wireless Access Point" on my online Technicolor Gateway.  I have seen speeds this morning of 6.5 mainly, but 5.5 also.  I have had difficulties in playing On-demand TV for any length of time and have been searching for reasons for a couple of months.  My TV and ethernet adapters have been blamed.  I am more and more certain they are not at fault and have looking elsewhere for possible reasons.  I have unlimited fibre with Plusnet and typical 37Mbps download speeds from BT Wholesale speed test site when connected by ethernet cable to my PC.  Are such readings on Technicolor Gateway relevant?  If so, why are they so low?
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Technicolor TG582n FTTC Actual Speed [Mbps]:

Hi Robert,
This is reporting the speed of the WIFI network and has nothing to do with the uplink (WAN) or wired LAN speeds.
For example. my WiFi actual speed is 65Mbps while my WAN connection is running around 5.5Mbps.  Look at this website for tips on configuring the TG582n for best performance. http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#tweaks
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robertjohn
Grafter

Townman
I thank you for your explanation.  I realise I am clutching at straws trying to resolve my difficulty ( 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' comes to mind!).  Your helpful link is over my head, too, I regret.  If I believe my TV is not at fault and I obtain such decent download speeds, I think I might bite the bullet, put my money where my mouth is and purchase an alternative router to see whether that is more successful.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Robert,
What specification are your dLAN adapters please.  For streaming video, 200Mbps is essential, 500Mbps is desirable.  I use devolo dLAN 200 AV adapters and they work really well, even on a 100Mbps  LAN port.
Have you tried connecting the TV direct to the router?
How many concurrent devices have you got connected to the internet?  The link between the modem and the router is only 100Mbps which has to be shared across all connections.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robertjohn
Grafter

Townman
I am using TP-Link TL-PA251 adapters that have a data rate of 200Mbps.
I do remember bringing the TV upstairs and placing it by the router.  This issue is so long-running, I cannot remember whether I actually connected the TV by ethernet cable to the router or only tried it wirelessly (without success).  I cannot imagine I did not try a wired connection.
I have a desktop PC and laptop connected by ethernet cables to the router.  Neither are powered up if I watch television.