Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582N - Poor Signal Strength

Spruance
Grafter

Re: Technicolor TG582N - Poor Signal Strength

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

We don't provide ADSL with an uncapped upstream by default, would you like me to uncap it for you?
Adam

Yes please! Smiley
As long as it won't do any harm (or cost more Wink  )

[NB: Have just ordered a 10m ethernet cable from Amazon as it looks like this might be a must have. Can also use it with the Sky box come to that.  Wink )
taras
Grafter

Quote from: Spruance
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

We don't provide ADSL with an uncapped upstream by default, would you like me to uncap it for you?
Adam

Yes please! Smiley
As long as it won't do any harm (or cost more Wink  )

[NB: Have just ordered a 10m ethernet cable from Amazon as it looks like this might be a must have. Can also use it with the Sky box come to that.  Wink )

Uncapping the upstream can cause your downstream to be slightly less but given your 15meg plus sync rate you shouldn't see a problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Spruance
Can also use it with the Sky box come to that.  Wink )

I hope this is an unnecessary comment but is your Sky box also plugged in to a phone socket and if so is it via a ADSL filter?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Spruance
Grafter

The filter is plugged into the main telephone point and the router is plugged into the  filter's ADSL port. The Sky box lead is plugged into a splitter which is shared with the landline phone, and in turn the splitter plugs into the phone port on the filter, so I think that's ok. It has been like that for five months without any problems anyhow. Thanks for asking though.
mspritch

I've found two things that severely affect wireless speed on the TG582n:-
Power reduction mode. Disabling this increases bandwidth. Unfortunately (at least with the 10.2.2 B firmware on my router) it keeps enabling itself again. It's easy to spot when this happens as wireless speed drops again. Strangely, disabling then re-enabling it seems to boost the speed, so it might be some sort of wireless controller reset that kicks the speed back up.
Poor quality integrated antennae. The antennae on the board consist of about half an inch of PCB track, and that's it. Connecting external antennae to the MS-156 antenna test sockets increases bandwidth significantly.
Here's what I'm getting from my MacBook Pro in the next room (opposite side of a single-cinderblock wall), with a pair of external antennae connected:
Power reduction enabled: 5Mbps, MCS 0
Power reduction disabled: 78Mbps, MCS 12
Power reduction enabled again: 78Mbps, MCS 12
External antennae unplugged from the test sockets: 5Mbps, MCS 0
External antennae reconnected to the test sockets: 78Mbps, MCS 12
Without the external antennae I have to be sitting in front of the router to get anywhere near 78Mbps.
Graham21
Grafter

I'll look in to power reduction mode but I wouldn't expect it to make that much of a difference. As for the integrated antennae, if you look carefully, you'll see that the 582n employs chip antennae on the end of those traces. Picture attached.
Graham