cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582N FTTC router - How to manually set Prim/Second DNS

laurian
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582N FTTC router - How to manually set Prim/Second DNS

Just had the fibre service installed and everything is performing well (getting 65up and17down). On my previous netgear router I had manually set the primary and secondary DNS lookup servers. I would like to do this on the Technicolor TG582N router but cannot see any way to manually configure this. If anyone has had successful experience with this then please let me know!
It's not imperative that I change the DNS servers it's just that I ran some software on my Mac (Namebench) and it located faster DNS servers than the default Plusnet ones...it would be nice to be able to do!
Thanks,
Ian Fidler
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Technicolor TG582N FTTC router - How to manually set Prim/Second DNS

I assume changing DNS can be done using the Command Line Interface as for earlier Thomson models. This requires telnet access in a command prompt window on Windows; I assume there is a Mac equivalent.
The procedure is explained in the Community Support Library article How to change the default DNS servers in a Thomson Speedtouch router. I think the username and password for accessing the TG582n CLI  will be admin and the router serial number.
David
laurian
Dabbler

Re: Technicolor TG582N FTTC router - How to manually set Prim/Second DNS

Thanks for this...it's exactly what I wanted and the instructions were perfect for my Mac. There's almost no difference between the Windows and Mac commands other than you use the Terminal instead of the command prompt but the 'telnet' command is the same. The username and password for the router are (assuming they are unchanged) 'admin' and then the router's serial number.
One minor point for any Mac users trying this, when using the terminal I found that when typing in the username it added in an extra character after I typed the letter 'a'. Dont know what this happened but the work around is just to copy and paste into the terminal rather than type.
Thanks again.
Ian Fidler  Smiley