cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Techincolor 582n - how change DHCP pool?

LFaulkner
Dabbler

Techincolor 582n - how change DHCP pool?

I have a 582n with a USB port, to which is connected a small hard disk.  It has the 8.4.4.J software.
I want to change the DCHP pool to exclude at least one address (probably 192.168.1.252) as I'm using an old router as a switch and its IP address should be outside the DHCP range.  In the help file it states that there is an "edit" option next to the current pool settings but I don't have that, only an "add" option.  Is there a secret or advanced menu to be able to do this, or should I use a later software version (I want to keep my USB connection though)?
Also, I've noticed that the router seems to have two IP addresses - 192.168.1.254 and 10.0.0.138.  What is the point of this?
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Techincolor 582n - how change DHCP pool?

The 10.0.0.138 address can be used to stay connected to the router if you are making configuration changes to the 192.168.x.x range.
Instructions for making the change you require are given in this post. Hope these work for you. Smiley
David
LFaulkner
Dabbler

This is the information you referred to, thanks -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE « Reply #1 on 29/06/2012, 12:46 »
I don't have a TG582n but I've just spoken to someone who's just changed the IP address and subnet of his new TG582n.
The procedure is:-
Disable the DHCP server on the router
Change the router IP.
Reconnect to router ( you may have to set a static IP the PC since DHCP is now disabled )
Change the router DHCP pool range.
Re enable DHCP server
Restart the router
Re enable DHCP on the PC if you had to set a static one earlier
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't need to change the router IP but tried disabling the DHCP server.  This doesn't add an "edit" option to change the DHCP pool range, though. 
I think I must have a different version of the router software.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I looked at this last night on my 582n with 8.4.4.J software.
Logged into router at 192.168.1.254, went to Home Network, clicked Interfaces then Local Network and Configure.
Initially I didn't have an edit option on the DHCP Pools. I unticked Use DHCP Server and clicked Apply.
The page refreshed with Overview displayed. Selected Configure again,
I now had Edit and Delete buttons against LAN_private.
Clicking Edit provided a page to change the ranges (and other settings). I cancelled out of that.
Now ticked Use DHCP Server again and clicked Apply.
Page refreshed as before but on selecting Configure the Edit and Delete buttons were still there. See attachment. However they've disappeared again overnight when PC was turned off (but not router).
Disabling and re-enabling Use DHCP Server was the only change I made. Doing that caused appropriate entries to be made in the router log. I haven't restarted the router.
David
LFaulkner
Dabbler

I can see that you've done it but I still can't get the edit option.  See below
Thanks for the info about 10.0.0.138.  It could be very useful to get back in if I mess up the settings!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Why don't you allocate an IP address below .64 to the old router? Then you won't need to change the DHCP starting/finishing address
Dan.
LFaulkner
Dabbler

Yes, I wondered about that but I can't get an option to edit the IP address of a device either!
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

On the old device save (backup) the config, edit the device IP address and then upload it.
Dan.
turvilleman

Just joined Plusnet and I needed to change my router's ip address to 10.0.0.x and a new DHCP pool to a 10.0.0.xx network (home network and Astaro firewall on the 192.168.1.xx network), but change caused me huge aggravation. Making the changes to the router's ip address and adding a new DHCP pool from the web GUI is straightforward, but I ended up with the router picking the LAN_virtual for its DHCP pool (I added the new pool I needed and deleted LAN_private, but could not edit/delete LAN_virtual which became the first line in the DHCP pool). Got round the issue by using telnet (open Terminal on pc connected to the router, type telnet <ip address of router> (in my case telnet 10.0.0.100) hit enter and then get Username (this is username for router which presumably is <admin> or whatever you have changed it to), press enter and then type whatever the password is to your router, enter again and you will be connecting to router through the command line, with <admin> =>  at the prompt. I took the simple route of typing <dhcp server flush>, hit enter and then type exit. Not being command line savvy, just went back to router's web GUI, and delighted to see no enteries under DHCP pool. You can then add your new DHCP pool in the range you need and not get caught by LAN_virtual.
Not sure whether this helps, but Spraxyt may wish to comment in case others search for changing DHCP pool and stumble across the problem I had with a DHCP pool consisting of LAN_virtual and its one ip address range!! (I raised the issue with Tech Support you were none the wiser!)