cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Techicolor Router - range issues?

hawmead
Grafter

Techicolor Router - range issues?

Hello, new to this forum so apologies if this kind of question has been raised before. I did search, but too many hits on 'technicolor' to be able to fully filter!  So sorry in advance.
I have recently moved from BT to Plusnet fttc service. With the new Plusnet service, I was sent a Techncolor router as well as the standard BT modem. However, there were noticable 'dead spots' around the house where I used to get good coverage with the old Home Hub 3. I thought it may have been a placement issue, so tried moving it to different locations in the same room.  Again, struggled to receive a signal especially in one of the bedrooms.  I altered the channel number (although the docs did say it would do this automatically if contention detected) but no change.  It was fine downstairs, but really struggled to get anywhere upstairs, even directly above it!
So, I removed the Techicolor router and replaced it with the old BT HH3 modem after altering the logon details within it. 
Instantly, full strength signal throught the house. Cracking signal!
So, the question is - Have I got a dodgy router and therefore request a new one from PlusNet, are the Technicolor routers not up to the job, or shall I continue to use the old HH3?  (At the moment I'm tending to lean towards using the HH3!)
Any other further tips? Bear in mind the Techicolor router is installed direct from the box with no mods made by myself apart from login details and channel number.
Thanks
Tim
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Techicolor Router - range issues?

Tip 1 - stick with the HH3 MUCH better than the 582 on wifi.
There are multiple threads on here about how poor the 582 is on wifi, PN refuse to acknowledge this and will say that it works fine for them  Lips_are_sealed
hawmead
Grafter

Thanks Hairy Biker - as I thought..  The build quality doesn't seem to be up to much either, so I'll stick with the HH3
Grff
Grafter

I tried the home hub 3, and while it was performing great, it seemed to have the openzone hotspot on it.  From what I gather this allows anyone to connect to a separate wifi connection on your router, and then use your broadband to surf the web.  Forgive me, but why would I want other people to be able to use my internet connection/allowance.
I couldn't find a way to switch it off without contacting BT and having a BT account, so I ended up taking it back out again and putting my netgear router back in.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quite agree, the Technicolor router has serious range issues & PN have admitted as such. I'm now using an Asus RT-N56U dual band router & my wireless speed has increased by 40%.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The openzone shouldn't be active unless you have a BT account.
james26
Grafter

What i don't understand is why don't them just use the HomeHub from BT with a little plusnet stick on it, surly it would way cheeper!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

At Plusnet prices?
David
james26
Grafter

Yes but how much more is the HomeHub vs the Techicolor thing?