cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech head required to translate to non tech head!

suesykes
Grafter

Tech head required to translate to non tech head!

Got a result finaly from bt speed test.... I'm even more confused now.. Whats it all mean????
Heres what I got...
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1888 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1358 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
6 REPLIES 6
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Re: Tech head required to translate to non tech head!

Basically it tells you that you currently connected at 1888 kbps, the bras profile (set by BTw) for your line is set at 1500kbps this limits your connection speed usually rounded down to the nearest 500kbps, the actual throughput tells you what your average day to day speed is like in this case its 1358kbps.
Bascally those results show that your day to day speed is fine compared to that your sync speed and bras speed and also indicates that your quite a distance from your exchange (assuming your on max)
suesykes
Grafter

Im on Option 2... Yes I am about 6 miles away from nearest exchange...  I think I'm probably very close to out of range.
pcoventry76
Grafter

to get 1358 for a 6 mile line is very good, bear in mind that your actual line length could well be (as in alot of cases) even longer than 6 miles.
BT say everyone can get 512k now irrespective of the line distance, so you should be chuffed with your results there.
The filtered faceplate is a good suggestion, but is it worth the cost? i think to be honest you are at the top range of your ADSL speed. I'm not sure how much they cost but as PJ says, you could buy and fit one and it could not make a blind bit of difference
pcoventry76
Grafter

Mines at 6mb ill also try this later - you never know!
suesykes
Grafter

Thanks all.. I knew I was pushing it on distance...
Mind you its like this.. Last week I felt like I was walking and getting nowhere... This week I have an helecopter!!!!
As far as connection goes, the socket is attached to the outside line direct... It is the only socket and socket and router are within 6 feet of PC... So I guess thats the best I can hope for eh!
James
Grafter

Hi there,
As I mentioned on the phone, you might be able to get a little bit more speed out of the line if you connect to the test socket, otherwise, I'm afraid you're getting pretty much all you can out of a line your length.