Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target noise margins

ComplexP
Grafter

Target noise margins

Hi All
Just a general question:
My noise margin always fuctuates between 8.5 and 10.5dB so I think my target is currenly around 10dB. It's been like this since my line was repaired several months back.
My current connection has held stable for close to 20 days now I think, so I was wondering at what point my target noise margin should start to automatically reduce towards the normal 6dB? Also, will I have to manually resync the router for this to happen? If so, when is a safe time to do this because doing it too early would presumably result in the timer being reset, so to speak.
Is there a way of tracking what my current noise margin target actually is?
Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
scootie
Grafter

Re: Target noise margins

either 12 or 9db noise margin target you will have. most likely 12db.
straight after a resync your SNR will be at the target noise margin.
can take months on 20cn for the DLM to lower your noise margin and am not sure if it drops the connection auto or the change in noise margin is appyled next time a resync happens
ComplexP
Grafter

Thanks ASBO
Perhaps I should just wait until the next time my router naturally requires switching off. Could be a while though...
scootie
Grafter

yep. with how slow the 20cn DLM makes changes its not really worth doing lots of resyncs in the hope its droped your target at last.
i am right in thinking you on adsl 20cn and not 21cn adsl2+?
you could allways plead to PN to have your noise margin reset, but BTw will only for sure do this once if you ask again they tend to be right stuck in the mud
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

DLM changes in Target SNRM occur automatically on 20CN and it drops the sync and resyncs.
I'd suggest a power down reboot ( wait at least 5 mins) day time between 0930 &1430 with the current propagation conditions.
ComplexP
Grafter

Quote from: ASBO
yep. with how slow the 20cn DLM makes changes its not really worth doing lots of resyncs in the hope its droped your target at last.
i am right in thinking you on adsl 20cn and not 21cn adsl2+?
you could allways plead to PN to have your noise margin reset, but BTw will only for sure do this once if you ask again they tend to be right stuck in the mud

Actually, I'm on 21CN...
scootie
Grafter

right well 21cn DLM is alot more reponsive so shouldnt be to long now if your lines stable and actualy able to do better.
then same applys to what anotherone has said thoe