cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target SNR

HughA
Grafter

Target SNR

After a recent period of instability, which now seems to have cleared, my target SNR jumped from 9dB to 12 dB.  This of course has resulted in a significant drop in sync speed.  Now that my line is stable again can I expect the target SNR to revert to 9dB eventually, or does it need someone to request a change?
16 REPLIES 16
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Target SNR

Yes, it will change back after approximately 400 hours of stability.  Or you can cut-short the wait by asking Plusnet to reset the line.
HughA
Grafter

Could any kind Plusnet person arrange a SNR reset for me please?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI HughA,
The instability may have been cured by the rise in SNR. How is your kit set up. Are you using any extension sockets/cables before the router? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
HughA
Grafter

Hi JoJo
My router is connected on an extension (no bell wire) as it has been for the last 2 years, so I'd be suprised if that was the cause of the short term instability.  I am on a very long line so I think external noise was a more likely cause of the SNR rise.  I've had a stable connection with 9dB SNR since joining PlusNet and with Eclipse before that. However, I will try connecting my router to the test socket and see if anything changes.
Hugh
HughA
Grafter

Hi JoJo
Just tried the test socket and I get a sync of 2784Kbps,  just the same as on the extension socket.  BT Speedtester on the test socket gives a download of 1727Kbps and a profile of 2455Kbps.  I believe the PlusNet profile is currently 2000Kbps so this will be rerstricting my throughput as well.
Hugh
HughA
Grafter

Hi JoJo
Any possibility of getting my SNR reset and my Plusnet profile raised now?
Hugh
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi HughA,
I've submitted an SNR reset but we're not able to change our profile as it currently matches the 2mb one on BT's systems.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HughA
Grafter

Thanks Adam
BT Speedtest shows a profile of 2455 so the PlusNet profile of 2000 doesn't match!
HughA
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We have to go on what's reported as the IP profile, I've run another line test just to double check and that is definitely set as 2000kbps at present, so don't worry I'm not trying to do you out of a few hundred kbps Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HughA
Grafter

Hi Adam
Its not a couple of hundred Kbps, its nearer 500Kbps and it makes a significant difference when your throughput is under 2000Kbps!  My last BT Speedtest showed a sync of 2784Kbps with a throughput of only 1727Kbps.  I don't understand why you can't increase the PlusNet profile as you have done in the past, it seems that you are needlessly restricting the performance of my connection.
Regards
Hugh
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

we're not, to reiterate, our profile really is matching BT's IP profile (which it has to) and that is set at 2000kbps at present.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HughA
Grafter

Me again Adam
Are there 2 different BT profiles?  You say its 2000Kbps but BT Speedtester says 2455Kbps!
I'm not trying to be awkward here, I'm just trying to understand how I can get my throughput back up above 2Mbps where it used to be!
Hugh
HughA
Grafter

Thanks for the SNR reset, its happened already and I am now happily synced at 3616Kbps.  Pity I can't make use of the speed as PlusNet is still restricting me to less than 2000Kbps!
HughA
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, I've upped the profile to 3mb to match the one I can see on BT's systems. Are you sure that the 2455Kbps was actually a profile speed?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team