Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target SNR

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Target SNR

I just wondering if Plusnet & BT accepting Target SNR 2.1dB if the broadband line stable for 12 days with SNR of 3.1dB? I believe it can do it.
36 REPLIES 36
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Target SNR

Hi goldenadsl,
I'm a little unsure on the question here? Are you asking if the SNR Target can be set at 3db permanently?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I mean set at 2dB permanently. See my ticket number #74624535
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not in the office at the moment, otherwise I'd have taken a look Smiley
The targets that we can set the SNR to, are 3db, 6db, 9db, 12db or 15db on the downstream. I assume yours is set at 3db at the moment.
If your line conditions stay as they are, I can't see any reason why it would change. We can make a change to ensure that regardless of what happens, the SNR Target stays at 3db, rather than allowing DLM to move the target up.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Ah that ok. I think probably down to BT Wholesale ruling 3dB only the lower they can set at. Because I remember a long while the fault team say to me if my line is stable at 3dB for a long period, they can try target SNR at 2dB. My line can cope with snr of 1.4dB (I tweak it from 3dB to 1.5dB) for 48 days see below:
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@goldenadsl
You seem to be obsessed with getting the absolute last few bps out of your line - quite frankly the size of the differences you are looking at you would only be able to tell the difference in speed test results - I'd challenge you to demonstrate an actual practical difference. You seem to forget that the closer you push a line to the limit the higher the error rate which will eventually lower the effective throughput.
You get decent speeds, if the line is stable leave well alone and just be grateful, there's many users on here who would give anything to have a line as good as yours.
If you will never be satisfied until you get the ultimate out of the line with no variability or DLM to worry about I suggest you move house to somewhere where FTTP is available.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just had a look through the tickets and can't see anywhere we've offered to set it at 2dB for you? 3dB is the minimum we can set any line to I'm afraid.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Hi Matt the fault team had spoken to me. He agree he will lower target SNR of 2 but can see my line after rebooting router as the line sync rate went up to 19251K from 17444K (after ten days stable with snr of 3) and the router re-connection again to change plusnet profile from 15.3Mb to 17Mb to match BT Wholesale IP Profile rate nearer 17Mb.
So far, everything seem fine with snr of 1.3dB for 16 minutes.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, if you're tweaking it with Routerstats then fair enough, but as I said (and regardless of what may have been said on the phone - sorry about that) we can't set the SNR of any line to anything lower than 3dB.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Can you please check my ticket #74624535 and don't understand why they unable to lower snr at 2dB? And why it taking so long before the fault team will response me back. They don't speak on the phone, only on the written communcation for the fault team to deal with snr of 2. It my line, and I would like the fault team to try snr of 2 because I believe my line will cope well with this.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Can you please check my ticket #74624535
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Matt
Just had a look through the tickets and can't see anywhere we've offered to set it at 2dB for you? 3dB is the minimum we can set any line to I'm afraid.

As Matt has said, the lowest target we can set your SNR Target to is 3db.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

So, this mean the fault team will not set at 2dB SNR target then? Why is only 3dB no less than that. Even thought I have to tweak snr down to 2dB myself when re-connected sync at the router. I prefer BT Exchange set it at 2dB by default without the need of tweak snr myself.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's correct.
The only options we have are: 3db, 6db, 9db, 12db and 15db.
We just do not have any option for anything lower than these values.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you considered buying a modem/router that allows you to permanently override the target SNR ?
so that you don't have to tweak it with 'RouterStats' every time your connection re-syncs.
The obvious choice would be one of the Billion BiPac 7800 series, 
although I also got great results with a Netgear DG834GT flashed with DGTeam firmware.
Wink