Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target SNR margin options

craighughes16
Grafter

Target SNR margin options

Good evening,
I am currently on a 6dB profile (activated today). I have previously (on another ISP) forced a sync with a much lower SNR margin and had a steady connection for weeks at a time.
Is there any option to change my connection profile to have a target SNR margin of something <6dB? If so, I'd be very interested in trying it.
Many thanks,
Craig Hughes
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Target SNR margin options

If your service is on 21CN the DLM will automatically reduce target SNR margin to 3dB if the connection is stable and error rates are low enough.
David
thesawdust
Grafter

First 10days it's best not to touch anything too.  Cool
craighughes16
Grafter

I will need to reboot my router in a day or 2 to see if my annex M option has gone live - will that affect the assessment of my line by the DLM? I'd prefer it if someone could just switch me to the 3dB profile and see how things go from there. If that's not an option, I'll do my best to minimize rebooting of my router, but surely one or 2 reboots won't be a problem?
Thanks,
Craig
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to the suggestions, have you considered changing your modem to a model that has the feature to override the BT target SNR to a value of your choice.
craighughes16
Grafter

My current modem/router is capable of that if I use a telnet command. However, this only affects the downstream margin, and it is a hassle doing it whenever I need to reboot the router (admittedly not often, but I'd prefer not to have to do it).
Is there anyone who can make this change for me, and do they frequent these forums or will I need to call Plusnet/ contact them some other way?
Or perhaps I will just wait a couple of weeks and see what happens.
Thanks,
Craig
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Plusnet staff don't generally respond to forum requests outside normal office hours, so you will have to wait a day or two, to get an official response.  However this forum is the best place to ask these questions, and you will get a faster response and more accurate information here than you will by phoning or using the ticketing system.
Regarding modems with settable target SNR, I had meant those models which didn't lose the setting after a reset, but yes they do only tweak the download margin.
I don't know that they will do anything regarding SNR margins while your line is still in the 10 day training period,  as overriding the target SNR would be defeating the purpose of the line training.
Wait until Monday or Tuesday, and see what the "Digital Care Team" staff on this forum have to say.  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: craighughes16
I will need to reboot my router in a day or 2 to see if my annex M option has gone live

I'm almost sure you'll know when the Annex M has been applied because it will resync itself.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)