cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tanked - 11Mbit to 6.3MBit in 6 months

bodge

Tanked - 11Mbit to 6.3MBit in 6 months

Hi! I'm perplexed as to why my connection speed has tanked over the past year. About two months ago my download speed was at 8Mbit ish, and now it's all the way down to 6.3!
When I was with BE over a year ago it was at 14Mbit, moving to Sky brought it down slightly to 11Mbit, and it's just getting worse Cry My upload was at a decent 1.5, now it's half that.
Current state of affairs: http://imgur.com/mqJigIB,WOCSpfh
I live in Manchester centre, and I've been getting mixed information from various tests as to which exchange I'm actually connected to! I presumed it was MRBLA, most of the tests say so, but when I've gone and put my telephone number in to the BT Infinity checker it's showing up as "Manchester Barbican", in the middle of Salford, double the distance away! The whole area is under review for FTTC, according to the map the cabinet is closer to the exchange than it is to me.
Picture of said exchange, doesn't appear on any actual exchange list *shrug*:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/St+Stephen+St,+Salford+M3/53.4839494,-2.2578291/@53.483855,-2.2578...
I have no issues with ping (always 20ms or thereabouts to where it matters), or drop-outs, the connection is consistent, it's just performing really poorly.
I have tried the test socket and there was no difference, I'd also tried the new micro-filter as sent out with my new plusnet router, and the one I used with my previous router.

I'm done sleuthing - Can anybody from plusnet see what's going on with my line?
2 REPLIES 2
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Tanked - 11Mbit to 6.3MBit in 6 months

I've looked over your line and our records show your connected to the BLACKFRIARS exchange.
With regards to your speeds your SNR target was at 15db so I've done a reset to bring that done which should give you a boost.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bodge

Re: Tanked - 11Mbit to 6.3MBit in 6 months

Hi Matthew
That's helped - Up to 9.7Mbit down, upload is 1Mbit, latency is a little better. I guess the magic happening at the exchange wore out.
Thanks!