cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tale of woe, is my PC dead?

God
Grafter

Tale of woe, is my PC dead?

I decided to make a memory upgrade to my vista box from one gig to two. I purchased 2 x1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz took the old ram out and put them in. Booted the PC and it registered the 2 gig on screen then went on to say that it couldn’t find a cpu speed?
Anyway tried a couple more times and it did the same I decided to try and look on the bios screen but on the next boot after pressing delete nothing appeared on screen, so re-boot blank screen, no system beep.
I took the new ram out and put the old back in, booted, no system beep nothing on screen. I then removed the motherboard battery and power supply for a minute and rebooted same again, no video signal showing and no system beep. So I am now leaving it for a while before trying a restart.
What do you guys think has happened? Has the CPU fried? If it is a bios settings problem I can’t fix it unless I can get into it, which right now I can’t.
Poo.
33 REPLIES 33
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Tale of woe, is my PC dead?

Extremely silly suggestion  Grin
Did you knock one of the auxiliary power connectors to the motherboard or graphics card
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Make sure everything's seated properly (especially the graphics card and if it has one the external cable power to the graphics card), try rebooting again. If no joy disconnect all power cables and leave the blighter for an hour or so and give it another shot. If that doesn't help start everyone's favourite process - swapping bits out to find what's dead.
Good luck, O Lord, and thank you for the potato croquettes we had for lunch today, they were scrummy. Yay, God!
God
Grafter

Not silly, the mobo has power I will go and check the video card, but I would have expected a beep for no video card.
Be right back!
God
Grafter

Still no luck. I have checked mobo connections, they look good and the processor fan is going. Reseated both video cards, took them out of SLI configuration so they act as two single cards, nothing on either monitor, unlikely they both died? Disconnected all peripherals and all internal drive connections. Still no system boot beep. Worth reseating the CPU?
God
Grafter

PJ
No onboard graphicas and the only two PCI express cards I have are in the machine as you can see above I have seperated them and think it unlikely they would both blow. What else is there to swap? I have tried two lots of ram and disconnected everything else.
I could try the ram from this machine and hope that doesnt get killed. What would cause the mobo not to give a start beep let alone not give an error beep? I would assume CPU not working?
zubel
Community Veteran

depending on the motherboard, it should give a beep if the CPU is not detected correctly.
Unless, of course, the internal speaker is disconnected for whatever reason Wink
My first port of call with this would be to disconnect all hard/floppy/optical drives to ensure it's not the PSU being forced to supply too much power. 
It does sound very fishy though.
The other alternative is to hold the INS key down as you power the machine up - this works on several BIOSes to cause a hard reset to factory defaults (which removing the battery SHOULD do but I've had instances when it wasn't completely successful)
It does sound like a mobo problem more than anything though - perhaps inserting the new ram "flexed" the motherboard and opened up a hairline fracture somewhere (I've always hated DDR in this respect - at least the side-loading SIMMS never did that!)
B.
God
Grafter

I have tried the ram in this machine and its still ok, so  it didnt get fried. I have already disconnected all drives so it isnt that. I will give the INS boot a shot.
God
Grafter

Nope INS boot makes no difference.
billybud

Can you try changing the Power Supply ? I've had similar problems before and it turned out to be a faulty Power Supply.
Good luck anyway
God
Grafter

I dont have a spare and not great with a multimeter but:
Doesn't the fact that the CPU Fan, hard drives (sata and normal) along with the the dvd drives firing up make the it unlikely it is the PSU.
I have reseated and  heat pasted the CPU, still no boot.
God
Grafter

Maybe its time for a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade  Roll_eyes
I'm currently on a Barton 3200 and it feels a bit like porridge when I have a lot of stuff running. *eyes up intel dual cores*.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Funny you should say that as i was intending to upgrade my AGP graphics card (circa £100) but decided to go for a full rebuild - core 2 duo and PCIe
Now for the bad news - about the only motherboard which will accept DDR memory with a modern processor is the Asrock which will also accept an AGP or a PCIe card
God
Grafter

Well if I am going to go 6400 and a nice new mobo I reckon I would have to have some fast ddr2 to go with. I have a mixture of drive types and most of the mobos seem to favour sata only now, so a couple of converters to be thrown in as well!
hulls
Grafter

Hey!  I've just seen OldJim and God's avatars together for the first time.  Are you sure you're not related?
Grin
John