cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPLink WR1043ND

SADSYNDROME

TPLink WR1043ND

Hi
I have plusnet unlimited fttc (80/20) getting 63mbps/17mbs on supplied router:happy days:)
However, I wanted to use my tplink wr1043ND with current firmware as it has gige ports for internal LAN
I managed to set up pppoe so it connects but performance is really poor:(
Any hints on whether this should work at the same speeds as the supplied technicolour router?
thx
10 REPLIES 10
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: TPLink WR1043ND

Can't answer your question, but what happens if you connect the WR1043ND WAN port to the Technicolour? That may provide some clues.
I "only" have ADSL at 3Mbps Sad but used that layout with a Thomson 585 (connected to a single port ADSL modem/router) as a "setup" option to initialise my WR1043ND before mothballing the 585. It should autoconfigure for the correct WAN connection type.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
picbits
Rising Star

I had a play with the routers I had knocking about when my FTTC was installed a few days ago. I really wanted to use my Netgear DGFV338 as it was set up for all the appropriate port forwarding / firewalling etc.
With the supplied Technicolor router, I got 71Mb download speeds
With the DGFV338 I only managed to get 40Mb download speeds
With TP-Link TL-WR841ND I get 73Mb download speeds
All very strange and needless to say I've stayed with the TP-Link but it does show there can be quite a variance between Routers.
How poor is your "poor" performance ?
SADSYNDROME

I have been working with TPLink support on this. I have an old Acer Aspire 5920 laptop with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection but also tested with Android and another DEll modern laptop. I have just swapped TPLink for a new one same problem:(
My results are
supplied TEchnicolour router
    Wired: 57mbps u/l  and 17mbs d/l
      WLAN 24mbps u/l  and 16mbs d/l
TPLINK wR1043ND
    Wired: 57mbps u/l  and 17mbs d/l
      WLAN between 1 and 8 mbps erratic u/l  and 10mbs d/l
Could you do me a big favour and try out the TPLink WLAN speedtest for me? This is really doing my head in :-\PPP
I think it is a TPLink issue between PPPoE and WLAN.
Also, completely unrelated, when I swap over the routers they take about 5/6 mins to connect; is this normal?
Thanks

Quote from: picbits
I had a play with the routers I had knocking about when my FTTC was installed a few days ago. I really wanted to use my Netgear DGFV338 as it was set up for all the appropriate port forwarding / firewalling etc.
With the supplied Technicolor router, I got 71Mb download speeds
With the DGFV338 I only managed to get 40Mb download speeds
With TP-Link TL-WR841ND I get 73Mb download speeds
All very strange and needless to say I've stayed with the TP-Link but it does show there can be quite a variance between Routers.
How poor is your "poor" performance ?
SADSYNDROME

Quote from: PeeGee
Can't answer your question, but what happens if you connect the WR1043ND WAN port to the Technicolour? That may provide some clues.
I "only" have ADSL at 3Mbps Sad but used that layout with a Thomson 585 (connected to a single port ADSL modem/router) as a "setup" option to initialise my WR1043ND before mothballing the 585. It should autoconfigure for the correct WAN connection type.
Phil

Thanks for suggestion. I'm sure I tried that, I've forgotten what I have tried now  Huh but will give it a try because as it will not require PPoE it will verify whether PPPoE is the issue or not.
picbits
Rising Star

The 5-6 minutes to sync / connect appears quite normal. It caught me out at first and I thought my router wasn't configured properly.
Here is my first speedtest from my laptop to my WR841ND with the inbuild 54g wireless :
picbits
Rising Star

Here is the test repeated on the same laptop over wireless with a TP-Link TL-WN821N dongle :
picbits
Rising Star

And direct from my Ubuntu 12.04 server to the TP-Link with a gigabit switch inbetween.
SADSYNDROME

Thanks PicBits very quick response!
that is more or less  what I get with my Plusnet router, 54g limitations I guess.
What I need is someone with a WR1043ND to test that
picbits
Rising Star

Have you tried the obvious such as changing the Tp-Link wireless channel ? Also try a wireless dongle and see if it helps.
The wifes Dell laptop (newer than my 4 year old Dell laptop) has a wireless N built in and she initially could only speedtest at 10/10Mb but after half an hour of use she got similar speeds to me.
She's just tested again and got this :
SADSYNDROME

Thx for the tipsmuch appreciated
It isn't my laptop as problem persists with different devices.(wifesand daughters modern HP and Dell laptops and my oldAcer and Samsung S2)
Yes, I've tried different channels and most of the other WLAN settings! I really think it is a bug but I will try the option of TPLink WAN port to LAN port of Plusnet to see what I get,.
I am sure that was the first thing I tried though!