cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link W8968

David123

TP-Link W8968

Hi,
I have recently moved and had no problems with my Thomson 585 v7 modem from Plusnet. But I wanted to upgrade my modem to extend the range and speed of my wireless network.
So I went for the TP-Link W8968 ASDL 2+ modem. Unfortunately, it has not worked straight out of the box. I have set it up as instructed with the network settings, but when it comes to connect, it seems to establish an internet connection - but one that does not work. If you leave it about 20 minutes it does reconnect eventually. It is plugged into the main BT socket and I have tried a different filter and phone line - but it still seems to have an intermittent problem connecting.
This is the summary when connected.
DSL
Line Status:Connected
Dsl up time:0 day(s) 01:59:49
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt.bis
Annex Type:Annex A/I/J/L/M
                                      Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)                 443        2771
Max Rate (Kbps)                          720      2964
SNR Margin (dB)                        14.5        3.5
Line Attenuation (dB)                 33.5        52.9
Occupancy (%)                             61        93
Errors (Pkts)                                   0        0
Any suggestions? Why does the Thomson router work when the TP-Link won't? Currently I have gone back to the Thomson router and a plug in wireless network - which works!
David
3 REPLIES 3
picbits
Rising Star

Re: TP-Link W8968

Maybe not a solution you would want but you could always use the Thomson for your main router then plug your TP Link via LAN to LAN sockets and use it as a wireless access point (disable the DHCP on the TP-Link and make sure you set a wireless password). You could also disable the wireless on the Thomson if you want to potentially avoid congesting the WLAN frequencies.
David123

Thanks Dom.
I had thought of that, it just seems a waste of an ADSL2+ router.
I suppose the question I would like answering is, is it a faulty router or is the W8968 not working properly because of router settings or the line?
David
picbits
Rising Star

I know with my FTTC line, when I swap my routers, it can take between 5 and 15 minutes to establish a connection.
I had the same with the ADSL line - I think the longest I waited was around 20 minutes for the connection to establish and the IP to be assigned. Subsequent reconnections were very fast but if I put a different router on I'd get another delay.
When your router actually syncs, is it well behaved and give you the sync speed and throughput you expect ?
Other things to double check is that you have the MTU set correctly or you may get strange stuff happening.
I've not used PN on ADSL so I can't really advise much further but on my old BE line I would often chop and change routers with no major issues (apart from the delays)