cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link TL-WR841N

derast

TP-Link TL-WR841N

I have Plusnet Fibre, which I'm very happy with. My Technicolor router just went out. While my router is RMA'ed I thought I'd try a new router (the Technicolor signal would drop randomly). I picked up a TP-Link TL-WR841N. Speeds are good, connections are good so far. BUT, my NAS won't connect to my network anymore. Any suggestions for how to fix this? I'm pretty sure it is an IP-related issue, where I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have a static or dynamic IP setup. I have my "secondary connection" set to dynamic yet the IP and subnet are listed as 0.0.0.0. And, all of my wifi devices are listed in my DHCP client list. My server, which is the only one connected via hardline, isn't listed on this list.
Any experienced this or know how to fix it? I'd really like to get my server back on the network. It's a headless server so I cannot even troubleshoot it because it's not communicating with the router. My PPPoE is set as the "primary connection" and I've set all the routers settings to match what's listed under my Plusnet profile connection settings.
Thanks in advance. 
5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: TP-Link TL-WR841N

Can you provide more details about your NAS such as make & model so someone with more knowledge of it may be able to help ?

It is unclear what your references to 'primary connection' and 'secondary connection' refer to. I presume these are settings within the TP-Link router.

In any case, I will make a wild guess and say it could be your NAS was probably set up with a static IP address like 192.168.1.? with default gateway of 192.168.1.254 when you were using the Technicolor router.
The TL-WR841N requires clients to use IP address like 192.168.0.?  and default gateway of 192.168.0.1 according to the user manual.

If you cannot connect to your NAS using your local PC, temporarily reconfigure a PC to use static IP address like 192.168.1.x where 'x' is a random number between 1 and 253 which is not in use.   Then connect to your NAS at its old static IP address (I presume you know what it is) and amend its IP settings accordingly so it will work with the network created by the TP-Link.  ie. The NAS's new IP address should look like 192.168.0.?, with gateway 192.168.0.1.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
derast

Quote from: zzZzz
Can you provide more details about your NAS such as make & model so someone with more knowledge of it may be able to help ?

Custom built box using Nas4Free. AMD APU (ASUS built), 8 GB RAM, 8TB (4*2TB) ZFS RAID array, gigabit ethernet.
It is unclear what your references to 'primary connection' and 'secondary connection' refer to. I presume these are settings within the TP-Link router.

These are TP-Link router settings. Never saw these either, which is part of the reason I thought I might have messed them up.
In any case, I will make a wild guess and say it could be your NAS was probably set up with a static IP address like 192.168.1.? with default gateway of 192.168.1.254 when you were using the Technicolor router.
The TL-WR841N requires clients to use IP address like 192.168.0.?  and default gateway of 192.168.0.1 according to the user manual.
If you cannot connect to your NAS using your local PC, temporarily reconfigure a PC to use static IP address like 192.168.1.x where 'x' is a random number between 1 and 253 which is not in use.   Then connect to your NAS at its old static IP address (I presume you know what it is) and amend its IP settings accordingly so it will work with the network created by the TP-Link.  ie. The NAS's new IP address should look like 192.168.0.?, with gateway 192.168.0.1.

Just moved from the US to the UK. Server is headless and I don't have all of my computer tools and components to hook up a monitor to check the settings. When I get home later I will check the client IPs to check if they using the format you reported.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

An alternative, of course, would be to change the TP Link's LAN configuration to match the Technicolors. Set it's subnet to 192.168.1.0 , its IP to 192.168.1.254 and its DHCP pool to 192.168.1.64 -> 192.168.1.252 . Everything should then be exactly the same as before. You need to ensure that any DHCP clients renew their leases after the Tp Link has been changed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

derast

Quote from: MisterW
An alternative, of course, would be to change the TP Link's LAN configuration to match the Technicolors. Set it's subnet to 192.168.1.0 , its IP to 192.168.1.254 and its DHCP pool to 192.168.1.64 -> 192.168.1.252 . Everything should then be exactly the same as before. You need to ensure that any DHCP clients renew their leases after the Tp Link has been changed.

Great tip. I will try this first because it will involve much less work on my end since I don't have my pc stuff yet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I thought it might involve less work, especially if you plan to go back to the old router when it's replaced. Not being familiar with the TL-WR841N I don't know how easy the reconfiguration is though.
BTW Just a heads-up that there's no need (in fact it's against forum rules) to quote an immediately preceding post in full.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.