cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link TL-WR2543ND

bwlmog
Dabbler

TP-Link TL-WR2543ND

Hi, hopefully someone can help me. I'm currently in the process of transferring my FTTC service from BT to PN and have been reading the posts concerning the router provided and the general consensus appears to be that the router is awful.
I have been surfing the web and it seems that the TP-Link TL-WR2543ND gets good reviews and at less than £50 is within my price range.  My question is two fold, firstly will this router work with PN Fibre and secondly is it any good?
With a family with PS3, Xbox 360, Ipad, laptop, Smart TV, Ipod and mobile phones I need a router that has a good wireless signal and can handle a number of wireless devices at the same time.
Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: TP-Link TL-WR2543ND

I'm one of a few here who have this router!
It's brilliant. We have one desktop, an HP ePrinter, an Apple TV box, Sat Box, two laptops, two iPads & two iPhones on it, plus various other items from visiting family members!
Geoff,
York.
bwlmog
Dabbler

NedLudd,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Have you ever used the usb port with a HDD if so is it any good as a temporary fix until I can afford a NAS drive?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Also if you are using a BT HH3 then you can continue to use that. By changing a setting.
I can follow through the steps if you want to.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
bwlmog
Dabbler

Thanks JamieDanjoux,
I may well take you up on that offer once I get my service transferred to PN. Although, I find the wireless coverage on my HH3 mediocre to say the least.
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: bwlmog
NedLudd,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Have you ever used the usb port with a HDD if so is it any good as a temporary fix until I can afford a NAS drive?

I have a 128Gb SSD drive in a caddy attached to the USB port. A bit fiddly to set up and assign drive letters. I used a freebie called NetDrive to assign drive letters in the end!
Geoff,
York.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: bwlmog
Thanks JamieDanjoux,
I may well take you up on that offer once I get my service transferred to PN. Although, I find the wireless coverage on my HH3 mediocre to say the least.

You can always get a WAP (Wireless access point) for a better WIFI range.
To be prepared here is the steps -
1 . connect to the BT hub 3 using a ethernet cable or via WI-FI.
2 . Open your preferred browser and paste the following -  http://bthomehub.home ; - or  -  192.168.1.254
3 . Enter your password (If you have logged on to the BThub settings before)  (If not) enter admin password (Found on pull out card on back of hub) enter a new password (A preferred one)
4 . Click Settings (Along top tabs) then at the bottom you will see 'Enter your Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers)'
5. Click on that.
6 . You will see 2 lines -
Username -  bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password -
change it to
Username - <yourplusnetusername>@plusdsl.net  (don't include <> )
Password - The password you used to sign up to plusnet.
Hope this helps!
I am one happy user using the BT hub 3 type B and used type A ( both similar ) (Same steps for both versions)
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

BWLMOG -  When you were with BT Infinity did you enjoy it?
its just because I am thinking of switching to BT infinity at my new build house (No cable).
What are the benefits?
bwlmog
Dabbler

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
BWLMOG -  When you were with BT Infinity did you enjoy it?
its just because I am thinking of switching to BT infinity at my new build house (No cable).
What are the benefits?

Hi JamieDanjoux,
Sorry for the delay in replying.  I'm coming from BT for a number of reasons being;
1 - Cost, I was paying £47 a month for Infinity, line rental and calls compared to £37 with PN.
2 - Generally Infinity was very good, but there was a major drop in speed after 6pm.
3 - A lot of houses around me had BT and my Ipad etc kept trying to connect to their HH when moving around the house, which became really annoying.
4 - BT customer service is up there with Sky, simply awful.  If you do go with them make sure you get everything in writing.
I originally signed up to Infnity package 2 which was unlimited 40/10 connection but secured a free upgrade to the 80/20 service when released but to be honest the speed increase from 6mb to 40mb was unbelievable but the increase from 40 to 80 was barely noticable when loading webpages etc but no doubt allowed more devices to access web without slow down.
My kids love Netflix and they are on it all the time n a number of devices without any slowdown and the odd occasions I get to play COD on the PSN I have found the ping to be excellent with no visible lag.
Good luck with whatever choice you make, but as I mentioned earlier get everything in writing (including copies of webchats).
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Just to let you know. It's against forum rules to include a quote from the last reply in your reply.
Jamie