Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link TD-W8970 router dropping connection

plusminus

TP Link TD-W8970 router dropping connection

HI
new to this site and a through necessity becoming a novice "router tweaker"
The plus net supplied router was replaced with a TP Link TD-W8970 router which is really powerful in comparison and wifi signal reaches far into my property
In addition a couple of old repeater access points have been replaced with 300Mbps TL-WA850RE to match the router, all is well....except....
the connection drops out ever day or so.
I need to simply re-start the router and all is fine again
any idea of any settings that may need a tweak?
I have tried all sorts to no avail,
We are on a slow 1.5 meg copper overhead connection in the region...but manage for now as there are no alternatives...yet.
a stable connection would be desirable, like it was with the old plusnet router ..thanks
note Firmware updated on all three devices
Q1.should I change the router setting for the
WAN Management Protocol (also called TR-069) allows the Auto-Configuration Server (ACS) to perform auto-configuration, provision, collection, and diagnostics to this device. You may configure this function under your ISP's instructions.

CWMP: Enable Disable Huh
Inform: Enable Disable ?Huh
at the moment these are both set to Disable...thanks
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: TP Link TD-W8970 router dropping connection

A necessity to reboot the router suggests a problem with the router really. Do you have the 8970 v1 with 3 antennae and 2 USB ports, or the v3 with 2 antennae and 1 USB?
Please give us your ADSL line stats, and also check if there's anything in the router system log that might point to the problem.
Unfortunately the ADSL line stats in the TP-Link web pages are not very detailed, and there's also a bug which causes the error counts to always display as zero. However, it is possible to "unlock" the v1 and probably other models, gaining you root shell access where you can access full DSL stats and also exert more control over the router, kill off unnecessary processes etc. I have not yet actually give out the config change required to do the unlocking in fear of TP-Link blocking it in a future firmware update.
If all else fails, you could use your old plusnet router, and configure the 8970 to be just a wireless access point.
plusminus

thanks ejs..
router is 3 twig v1 (2 x usb)

also test DNS fails if that is relevant as below ...
Test Internet surfing  
   Test xDSL Synchronization Pass
   ATM OAM Segment Ping Pass
   ATM OAM end to end Ping Pass
   Test PPP Server connection Pass
   Test authentication with ISP Pass
   Test the assigned IP address Pass
   Ping default gateway Pass
   Ping primary Domain Name Server Pass
   Test DNS Root Fail
   Network Connection Status Inspect(NCSI) Pass
Diagnostics completes

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Nothing interesting in the logs probably because the router had recently been rebooted. You may want to edit out your WAN IP address (87.144.X.X) and account user name. Logs from before it becomes necessary to reboot the router might be more useful.
Also the ADSL stats, line rate, line attenuation, noise margin etc.
As for TR-069 / CWMP remote management - it should be disabled since you've already set up the router yourself, and plusnet's auto setup system would only work with plusnet supplied routers anyway. Personally I'd kill off the cwmp process too, save a few KB of memory on the router and have one less thing that could go wrong.
Test DNS root fails - that test is broken, it will always fail, it doesn't matter and won't affect anything else.
plusminus

Ok thanks will do..next time if it falls over will post the report
thanks for the info and advice have taken off,
and will re-post an edited version next time if needs be after any issues
Current Rate (Kbps)
448 2176
Max Rate (Kbps)
964 2336
SNR Margin (dB)
17 13.1
Line Attenuation (dB)