cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link TD-W8961ND Constant Disconnections [Solved]

Shankar

TP-Link TD-W8961ND Constant Disconnections [Solved]

Hi guys
I'm a new customer to Plusnet and am using my own ADSL modem/router (TD-W8961ND) to connect to the Plusnet service.
All the settings have been entered correctly and the modem is able to establish a connection (i can see an IP address on the modem status page etc...).
However, this connection is stable for up to 3 minutes before it disconnects and goes down for another 5-10 minutes. Sometimes, the modem is able to connect but I am unable to browse any web pages.  Cry At other times the download speed is less than 1kbps  Cheesy
On the modem itself, the ADSL light comes on, followed by the Internet light, before the internet light goes off soon afterwards. I have tried using different microfilters and different phone sockets. The apartment im living in now does not have a BT test socket inside, so I am unable to directly connect and test this  :-[.
After checking the internet for some solutions, I have come across some people who say that the firmware for the modem/router needs to be updated in order for it not to constantly lose connection (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96604.0.html and http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3APETRTTNXYEW/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004ERXXHC&nodeID=&tag=&...). I have updated the firmware successfully with no change in connectivity. I do not have another ADSL2 router in hand to test whether this is a router-specific fault.
Additionally, the home phone (also with Plusnet) works fine, I have had no dropped calls and the quality has been good.
So far, Plusnet support have turned on interleaving and are carrying out line tests from their end to try come up with a solution. Is there something else I can try in the meantime or am i resigned to my fate  Cry
16 REPLIES 16
Shankar

Re: TP-Link TD-W8961ND Constant Disconnections

Quick update: I have gone for  overkill and orderd a Billion Bipac 7800N modem/router  Shocked
This should arrive tomorrow, and should clear up whether the problem was router-specific.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

welcome to the forums Shankar.
The 7800N is an excellent router, i've been running one for nearly 2 years (i think) never had any issues, a good choice IMO
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Shankar

Quote from: dvorak
The 7800N is an excellent router, i've been running one for nearly 2 years (i think) never had any issues, a good choice IMO

It was one of your posts on another thread that convinced me  Kiss
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

As long as you don't blame me when it all goes horribly wrong Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Shankar,

From a support point of view trying another router is the best and only real way to tell if your hardware is the issue for what ever reason. I'd have recommended this as the next step and we can loan out routers for testing purposes in cases like this.
Do shout up though if you still see issues with the new kit in place.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Shankar

Hi Guys,
Success!!  Grin
The new Billion 7800N router has managed to establish a "stable" connection to ADSL and the internet (20 minutes and counting...). I enabled PhyR upstream/downstream as i head that this feature is useful for "noisy" connections.
Here are the stats for the line - i have no idea what all these numbers mean  Shocked Could someone please explain whether they are good/bad/indifferent
Plusnet Data Transfer Speeds
Phone exchange:
    MIDLAND
Estimated line speed:
    6Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2011-08-18 18:37:52
Current line speed:
    9 Mb
Router Stats
Upstream   446
Downstream 10252
SNR Margin(Upstream) 28.8
SNR Margin(Downstream) 3.8
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 17.4
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 29.0
BT Speedchecker
Download speedachieved during the test was - 7750 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :10252 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 446 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9000 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 342 Kbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 446 Kbps
Speedtest
Shankar

Some more questions:

• Was the previous disconnection problems a problem with the TP-link router? If so, should i return it to Amazon for a refund citing a fault with the product?

• Should i ask for interleaving to be turned off so see whether my line stays stable without it?

• Should i ask for the line profile to be reset to training period? I am sure that the constant disconnections over the past few days would have had a negative impact on speed

Thanks!  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You should only request interleaving turned off if you play on line games and need the reduced ping.
Retraining isn't necessary as your default noise margin seems to be 3dB (possibly 6dB - it depends when you last resynched the router or indeed switched it on.)
However
Your speed is way below that expected for your attenuation so you either have a very noisy line (possible) or it is your internal wiring causing problems. Do you have a test socket behind the master socket you can try)
Alternatively it is just possible - but  unlikely that your line has been banded.
Note that asking for the upstream speed to be uncapped would be useful
Re the TP-link router - it probably wasn't at all happy with the very low noise margin (different chipset than the Billion) so whether you send it back is up to you
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

The Billion 7800N uses the Broadcom 6358, I don't know what the TP-Link W8961ND uses, but the W8960N uses the Broacom 6358. I am using it right now.
Shankar

Quote from: Oldjim

Your speed is way below that expected for your attenuation so you either have a very noisy line (possible) or it is your internal wiring causing problems. Do you have a test socket behind the master socket you can try)
Alternatively it is just possible - but  unlikely that your line has been banded.

This apartment does not have a BT test socket inside the "flat", it is located in a communal area somewhere in the building so i am unable to test this. The only other thing i have connected to the line is a phone
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thatr probably explains the lowish speed and may also explain the noise problems on the line - which you won't be able to do anything about
If the TP-Link W8961ND has the Broadcom chipset then it may be faulty. Notwithstanding that Amazon are really good about returns so I would send it back
Shankar

Quote from: Oldjim

Could you please explain to me what "banded" means in this context?  Embarrassed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

From the Plusnet Broadband Terminology page:
[quote=http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#dlm]
DLM for ADSL2+ is able to use banded profiles. Initially, all lines are configured to run in a fully rate adaptive mode. That means there isn't really any maximum or minimum capability of the broadband service within technical capabilities.
For lines which drop frequently, a banded profile can be applied, which will restrict a line's connection speed from connecting at a level which it can't maintain. Banded profiles operate with a minimum and maximum connection speed band. For example, one banded profile will control the connection speed from between 3.3 and 6.6Mbps
The linked page lists the various banded profiles currently used on ADSL2+.
(In my opinion, your stats aren't typical of those where a banded profile has been applied.)
David
Shankar

The line has stayed stable for the past 8 hours so far!
But there is another issue...for some reason, whenever i open firefox it redirects me to a modem configuration page (http://192.168.1.254/ez.ezs?ez_url=www.google.co.uk/&ez_ip=http://192.168.1.254/).
My homepage on firefox is set as www.google.co.uk
The same problem does not occur if i open IE, only with firefox  Cry
Is there something i can do to avoid this page?