cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link TD-W8960N

Allsaints79

TP-Link TD-W8960N

Hi,
I have been with plusnet for several years. I remain on the Thomson 585v7 Router. We have several wireless devices connected to the Router i.e. PC/iPhone/PS3. I am looking to add a Laptop and Wireless Printer in the next few weeks. Given the older Router we have a maxium Transfer Speed of 54 Mbps. I have therefore considered the benefits a of buying a new router. I have seen the TP-Link TD-W8960N on Amazon for about £35. I am aware that this is Wireless N.
I ask would it significantly improve my Wireless Network i.e. Speed?
Second to this I am a complete novice. Would it be simple to set-up i.e. what would I need to do?
thanks in anticipation for the help
Mat
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: TP-Link TD-W8960N

Do/will you spend a lot of time sending large files from one device on your network to another (where network speed might make a difference)?
How fast is your internet connection?
Are all your devices capable of using Wireless N?
Allsaints79

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
The most demanding task will be streaming movies / Sky Go.
Maxium Speed is 'upto 20Mb'. However, the fastest I have ever received is 10 mb/s.
Th PC and Laptop are capable of Wireless N.
thanks
lyndonp
Grafter

If it is any help, I purchased this exact same router from Amazon earlier this year to replace my original V1 Netgear DG834G which was working but I thought was started to show its age and wanted to try out this cheap wireless N option.
The TD-W8960N is easy to setup although I recommend making sure its has the latest firmware on and if not, apply and do a full reset first  which means you have to go through the setup again if you have set it up already but it is easy with setup disk. If you want to go into the router setup and change manually there many parameters and settings to do more than the basics - quite amazing for this kind of money!
It is a very good value router for the money.
(For the record, it is my second bit of TP-Link equipment having purchased a TL-WA701N access point last year to provide wireless access to a wi-fi ready TV for about £17 without having to spend the exhorbitant price for the recommended wi-fi dongle!)
Allsaints79

Hi    lyndonp
Thanks for the info
ta