Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-LINK TD-W8970 Dropping

IB00
Dabbler

TP-LINK TD-W8970 Dropping

Hello.
I have just bought myself a new router. a TD-W8970, which seems to be okay.
One problem.. it connects all fine but keeps dropping within a few seconds after receiving an ip.
I try my explorer which does not connect to a website - various websites have been tried.
I've used the adsl settings which I saw on the plusnet website though the router has other options which I leave well alone.
Also noticed upload speeds.. my upload speed is capped/locked to? may I have it unlocked please? I'm an online gamer and the extra upload would be immense.
I have to keep changing from the plusnet router to the tp-link one so please keep this in mind.
Thank for your time.
Rich
12 REPLIES 12
IB00
Dabbler

Re: TP-LINK TD-W8970 Dropping

I would just like to add, after an evening on tinkering, it seems I can only use the g.dmt profile.
When using auto-sync it allows me to sync in the adsl2+ profile at over 14mb d/l but then drops.
What is going on? I'm meant to be on the upto 16mbit package.. and you're connecting me at a max of 8mbit!? - which also shows the max connection sync on the routers status page, very clever router -  and my u/l speed halved - with a capable upload speed of over 1mbit but actual recieving 448kbps.
I hope this can get rectify asap please before I choose to look for an official outcome to this.
Thank you for your time.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Can you supply the stats from the router for others to comment usefully? The basic stats from the status page in your browser are a start, but the more detailed stats from a telnet session may be better. The telenet commands:
wa ad pe
wa ad ch
wa ad li n
wa ad li f
may be the ones needed (correct for a TD-8816) and, if correct, will give the data - including bit loading.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
IB00
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply.
I've just upgrade to the unlimited package. Should I hold off copy and pasting on this until upgrade?
IB00
Dabbler

Those commands did not work but here is what  it shows when using the g.dmt instead of auto-sync.
Some information with other commands:
TP-LINK(conf)#adsl show info
INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=Up
modulationType=ADSL_G.dmt
lineEncoding=
dataPath=
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=448
downstreamCurrRate=8128
upstreamMaxRate=1164
downstreamMaxRate=8128
upstreamNoiseMargin=260
downstreamNoiseMargin=90
upstreamAttenuation=160
downstreamAttenuation=285
upstreamPower=119
downstreamPower=199
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=5274
showtimeStart=163
quarterHourStart=0
X_TPLINK_Bitswap=On
X_TPLINK_SRA=On
X_TPLINK_AdslModulationCfg=ADSL_G.dmt
X_TPLINK_AnnexType=Annex A
X_TPLINK_SupportAdslMode=T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L;ADSL2+:A,M,A/L/M;Auto Sync-up:A,A/L,M,A/L/M;
}
cmd:SUCC
TP-LINK(conf)#adsl show status
INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=Up
dataPath=
lineNumber=0
lineEncoding=
modulationType=ADSL_G.dmt
interleaveDepth=0
X_TPLINK_AnnexType=Annex A
}

This is the status page:
DSL
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Type:Annex A
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 8128
Max Rate (Kbps) 1164 8128
SNR Margin (dB) 26 8.9
Line Attenuation (dB) 16 28.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
IB00
Dabbler

This is what happens for a few seconds when using auto-sync:
TP-LINK(conf)#adsl show info
INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=Up
modulationType=ADSL_2plus
lineEncoding=
dataPath=
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=440
downstreamCurrRate=14876
upstreamMaxRate=1084
downstreamMaxRate=14876
upstreamNoiseMargin=261
downstreamNoiseMargin=58
upstreamAttenuation=138
downstreamAttenuation=313
upstreamPower=113
downstreamPower=205
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=5496
showtimeStart=386
quarterHourStart=0
X_TPLINK_Bitswap=On
X_TPLINK_SRA=On
X_TPLINK_AdslModulationCfg=Multimode
X_TPLINK_AnnexType=Annex A/L/M
X_TPLINK_SupportAdslMode=T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L;ADSL2+:A,M,A/L/M;Auto Sync -up:A,A/L,M,A/L/M;
}
TP-LINK(conf)#adsl show status
INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=NoSignal
dataPath=
lineNumber=0
lineEncoding=
modulationType=
interleaveDepth=0
X_TPLINK_AnnexType=Annex A/L/M
}
Status page:
DSL
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus
Annex Type:Annex A/L/M
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 440 14908
Max Rate (Kbps) 1096 14908
SNR Margin (dB) 26.2 3.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 13.8 31.3
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
I hope this helps.. by the way how long for an upgrade to be 'clicked' on the screen? and is that a different profile? Thank you!
IB00
Dabbler

Any help with the upload and download would be appreciated.
IB00
Dabbler

This morning..
DSL
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 4544
Max Rate (Kbps) 1156 8480
SNR Margin (dB) 27 23.9
Line Attenuation (dB) 16 28.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Cry
Plusnet member centre line information:
Phone exchange:
PLYMPTON
Estimated line speed:
11Mb (This may vary between 6.5Mb and 15Mb) - Checked on 2013-04-21 10:44:02
Current line speed:
6.4 Mb
Sorry for all the posts but as I perouse the forums more questions get asked.
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: IB00
X_TPLINK_SupportAdslMode=T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L;ADSL2+:A,M,A/L/M;Auto Sync -up:A,A/L,M,A/L/M;

This line indicates that you can select ADSL2 as well as G.dmt and ADSL2+. I know others will disagree Wink but selecting ADSL2 can have a beneficial effect on longer lines (I can use ADSL2 but ADSL2+ will not hold a connection Shocked ), so it may be worth a try. In theory, ADSL2+ should fall back to ADSL2 if necessary, but .... Roll_eyes
I notice your stats don't include error counts. Is it possible to get these for the different modes - it may give some additional clues.
It appears that the Plusnet router is fine at holding the line? That could imply the TP-Link has a fault or a different chipset that has problems with the line characteristics. My first TD-8816 had a problem holding a connection (after 3 months of use) with a high error count but the replacement is currently running without problems, now that it syncs at 3dB SRNM instead of 0.1dB Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
IB00
Dabbler

Quote from: PeeGee

This line indicates that you can select ADSL2 as well as G.dmt and ADSL2+. I know others will disagree Wink but selecting ADSL2 can have a beneficial effect on longer lines (I can use ADSL2 but ADSL2+ will not hold a connection Shocked ), so it may be worth a try. In theory, ADSL2+ should fall back to ADSL2 if necessary, but .... Roll_eyes

Strange. I lost the '72 hour period' connected due to changing this but I changed to the adsl2 profile a moment ago, on the w8970 and it's holding.. but..

DSL Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt.bis
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 440 4544
Max Rate (Kbps) 888 7316
SNR Margin (dB) 27.7 6.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 14.8 27.9
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

It appears both the sync rates (the max rate) of the upload and download have lowered.

I notice your stats don't include error counts. Is it possible to get these for the different modes - it may give some additional clues.

Errors (Pkts) at the bottom of the above stats? no doubt you're looking for crc errors or something?
As for the plusnet router/modem > fail.
My house mate decided to be drunk one night and stand on the router.. ever since then, the initial 11mbit connection decided to hit 2 mbits a soon as one put the router back together again.
I believe a line reset would be best bet and to put onto the package i asked for (upto 16mbit) not the old upto 8mbit. Also the upload is capped? So I've been reading through the forum.
IB00
Dabbler

I have no idea what is going on here but:
DSL
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus
Annex Type:Annex A/L/M
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 440 4544
Max Rate (Kbps) 888 10908
SNR Margin (dB) 26.8 7.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 13.8 31.3
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
I was able to connect using auto-sync.. go figure.. stable to.
I still can't get my head round the max sync rate > current rate being so widely different.
PeeGee
Pro

As you say, the uplink speed is consistent with being capped, with the "max" rate suggesting near 1Mbps possible. Perhaps a Plusnet rep will do that and a reset for you.
It appears the DLM is upset with the repeated changes and has settled on 4544kbps/14dB. Unfortunately, forcing ADSL2 didn't yield any really useful info, as it didn't sync anywhere near the 12Mbps limit.
Despite the zero errors, something is causing problems. Does the router have the latest firmware (1 Feb 13 probably on the status page as "build 130201") which has a few bug fixes? Perform a factory reset after updating (always good practise, even if not needed) and set up your details again.
One other thing, my TD-8816 dropped sync frequently for 2 days or so after being connected, though the DLM didn't change sync by much more than 10s of kbps, then a resync 300kbps lower has resulted in 103 hours of continuous operation.
IB00
Dabbler

As you say, the uplink speed is consistent with being capped, with the "max" rate suggesting near 1Mbps possible. Perhaps a Plusnet rep will do that and a reset for you.

That would be marvelous. The upload would be lovely for my online gaming.
It appears the DLM is upset with the repeated changes and has settled on 4544kbps/14dB. Unfortunately, forcing ADSL2 didn't yield any really useful info, as it didn't sync anywhere near the 12Mbps limit.

When I first connected this router it was connecting at 14mbit but wouldn't hold the sync. Something has change since yesterday but everything has stayed the same at my end except for me setting the router back to auto-sync. It was not holding the sync yesterday when I was using auto. All good so far today in that respect.
Despite the zero errors, something is causing problems. Does the router have the latest firmware (1 Feb 13 probably on the status page as "build 130201") which has a few bug fixes? Perform a factory reset after updating (always good practise, even if not needed) and set up your details again.

Indeed, the router does have the latest firmware,  I always reset. I've had extensive experience with dd-wrt and tomatoe 3rd party firmwares so when it comes flashing firmware.. I know Smiley
I'll wait 72 hours then come back if no joy.
I'll officially request an uncapping and a reset snr/DLM/whatever please. If not no problem, thank you for your help.