cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP LIN TD-W8960N

birkenshaw

TP LIN TD-W8960N

I am having fibre installed this Thursday, and having heard serious mumblings regarding the Thompson Router. I will change this as soon as possible.
Having never seen a fibre install, I am unsure as to connections etc. But from what I've managed to find using my best pal "Google" it looks like my present router a TP LIN TD-W8960N will work.
Things I am not sure about are:-
Do I still have to go through the openreach modem that the engineer brings and installs, or do I just connect to the master socket?
To get my TP link working, do I still use the settings that Plusnet will send with the Thompson router?
Does anyone have walkthrough to get the TP Link up and running?
14 REPLIES 14
Harro
Grafter

Re: TP LIN TD-W8960N

You will have to use the modem the engineer brings no matter what.  I would say factory reset the router and just connect the modem to it, then let it auto configure itself if it can.  I let my netgear auto configure, only thing i had to enter was Location as UK and username and pass that plusnet give you, router did the rest.
njay
Grafter

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=344
Although you need to select pppoe
Worked for me Smiley
birkenshaw

Thanks nj. looking at the link it says "pure wireless router" does this mean it cannot be used with an ethernet cable direct to PC?
birkenshaw

Also will I need to do the mac clone bit?
njay
Grafter

No need for Mac clone Smiley
birkenshaw

Thanks njay. do you know if I can stll hard wire from router to PC or is it just "wireless"
njay
Grafter

It only changes which ever lan port you nominated into a wan port.
The other three ports on the 8960 will still be normal lan ports you can hard wire you PC into Smiley
birkenshaw

njay.
your a star, many thanks for all your help.
birkenshaw

I am having problems setting up my router, and with my download speed (see my other post)
Njay said I need to go with the PPPoe  ive followed the guide but Im stuck on Step 10.  do I click on the PPP over ethernet or IP over internet?
Then I am stuck on WAN IP settings where do I find the details to enter if I choose "obtain an iP address automatically" ?
does anyone have an idiots guide to setting up my router PLEEEESE.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You want 'PPP over ethernet' and 'obtain IP an IP address automatically'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

birkenshaw

I do have a static IP according to my account, I had this before I went to fibre and looking at my account its still there so would prefer to use it.
One other question I forgot to ask was... do I need to factory reset my router or can I leave all my settings from before I changed to fibre, most seem to be the same ie email etc
njay
Grafter

I didnt reset my router and left everything else the same.
I have retired the 8960n now having bought an asus n66u.
However I believe I selected the following
Step 10: PPPoE and click next
Step 11: Obtain IP address automatically and click next
Step 12: enable Nat and click next
Step 13: select pppoe which if I recall changes the name to pppoe_eth0.5
Step14: obtain dns automatically and click next
Step 15: click next until you get get to apply/save. Note connection type and service name are different.
Reboot 8960n using option in menu.
Note summary page will always say connection state down as it unfortunately refers to adsl port. The only indication you have a connection is that the Internet light will be on if you look at the router itself.
Also, step 4 in the clone MAC address is a valid check as it will show your static ip. This should however have been displayed on the summary page along with the dns addresses too
Hth
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I do have a static IP according to my account,

There's a bit of misunderstanding about static IP's. The IP is still allocated on connection, it's just that you ALWAYS get the same one. You therefore still need to set the router to 'obtain IP automatically'. Hope that helps explain it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

njay
Grafter

Indeed. I should have stated that I have a fixed IP address despite selecting Obtain IP address for the very reasons MisterW has stated Smiley