Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v8 bridge

Joncy92
Hooked

TG585v8 bridge

Hello,

I've been looking for a way to get this old router into bridge. I found this post:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95646.0.html

But the links to get the firmware for bridge mode are dead. Where else can I get it please? Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: TG585v8 bridge

Hi @Joncy92

If you're comfortable using the Telnet CLI, then I still have a pdf pf the 'Internet connection config guide' for Speedtouch routers. A section in it describes the CLI commands to setup bridged PPPoE. I believe these will work with the TG585, assuming you have access to it's CLI via telnet.

It's not for the faint-hearted though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Joncy92
Hooked

Thanks mate! I can work with that!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've attached a copy

Section 4 is the one you want

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Joncy92
Hooked

Cheers for the upload. Have already hit a roadblock.

Tried flushing the configs after resetting the router but I'm getting errors:
Some atm interfaces are still in use cannot be deleted.
Some atm phonebook entries are still in use cannot be deleted.

When trying to when the phonebook I get:
Failed to add entry.

Any idea why?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You might have to detach  the atm interface before it can be deleted although I would have thought flushing the config would have done that

atm ifdetach ( i think! )

I've attached a copy of the full CLI interface ( it's for the TG582 but I suspect the 585 is VERY similar )

PS I've ot a couple of TG582's lying around, (can't guarantee it!) but if I get chance I'll try and configure one of those as a bridge and see what happens

PPS just looked at some of my config files lying around

might be worth trying the following commands before trying to configure

ppp relay flush
ppp flush
eth flush
atm flush
atm phonebook flush

Joncy92
Hooked

I got the errors I posted previously when flushing atm and phonebook.

I've made some headway now by using telnet menu, the config saved and I can see the atm and bridge configs under interface list command.

However I tried testing it via windows PPPoE client but I get error 651. See attached pic.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

try making sure the encaps is explicitly set to llc on the atm ifconfig.

Joncy92
Hooked

Already set to llc
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Make sure that your new atm phonebook entry is correct , the addr should be 0.38 and then check that the new atm interface is configured with the new phonebook entry

Just found an old thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Using-the-Technicolor-TG582n-in-Bridge-Mode/td-p/901808 about bridge mode on the TG582 with the complete set of commands required

ppp relay flush
eth flush
atm flush
ppp flush
atm phonebook flush
atm phonebook add name=BrPPPoE_ph addr=0.38
atm ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_atm
atm ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_atm dest=BrPPPoE_ph  encaps=vcmux ulp=mac
atm ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_br
eth bridge ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_br dest=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_br
saveall

although there was a question whether encaps should be llc rather than vcmux. There was another thread recently setting up bridge on a tplink and that wouldn't work with vc-mux

Joncy92
Hooked

I cannot flush atm or phonebook.
When I try ifdelete or ifdetach I just get invalid interface. Yet I can use ifconfig on it.

Very strange.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I can only assume then, that the 585 hasn't got quite the same cli facilities as the 582

Joncy92
Hooked

Cheers for all the help dude.

I've been messing around in telnet and managed to flush everything.

I can see PPPoE_br in the the management web page along with DSL now. They both say disconnected and I cannot get it working. Anything I've missed?

PS
System configuration shows service name: Routed PPPoA on 0/38
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I would have expected the DSL interface to come up straight away as long as the atm interface is correct .

System configuration shows service name: Routed PPPoA on 0/38

That's just the default description of the old configuration, it's only text AFAIK  you can probably ignore that.

Joncy92
Hooked

Okay so I've tried connecting again via windows PPPoE and it doesn't work. Have also plugged the speedtouch from LAN 4 to the Netgear internet port (running dd-wrt) and that will not pick up a connection either.

Don't think this modem wants to play ball.