cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585v8. Disabling wireless entirely.

reetpetite
Grafter

TG585v8. Disabling wireless entirely.

I'm using a physical connection and want to turn off the wifi entirely to save electricity.
However  I can't find the option in the firmware (plus net branded).
You can disable broadcast ssid I think, but that doesn't switch off the chip/antenna does it?
Can I do it by telnet or something?
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable

Re: TG585v8. Disabling wireless entirely.

Presumably it is the Thomson router? 
If so, I have just checked mine and here is what I found:
Router home page > Wireless > Configure.
There are two tick boxes - one labeled Interface Enabled and the other Allow multicast from broadband network. 
I think that it is probably the first one that will disable it but there is also the Help link at the top for further advice.
reetpetite
Grafter

Ahh thanks Poppy. If someone can just confirm that does in fact disable the hardware completely?
puddy
Grafter

Why do you think it will save on electricity?
The amount so small it’s not worth doing  
Routers are meant to be left on 24/7 to get the best speeds every time you switch the router off it can register as an error on your line and drop the speed.
routers are called an always on connection
If you want to switch the wireless part off for security reason i.e. so no one else can logon to the wireless connection then it would be worth doing but to save on electricity bill is madness
puddy
Not applicable

Is this of any use?
Says you have to press the button for a few seconds and it will disable wireless.
I always wondered what that was for!  
Doubtless someone with more experience will be along soon to confirm.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi reetpetite,
AFAIK Just disabling the interface will switch off the wireless, although as puddy says I doubt it will make much difference to your electricity consumption.
Jojo Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If the LED lights are similar to the v7 you will clearly see the wireless light go out when disabled. If I do that to my v7 the wireless isn't broadcasting so the hardware must be switched off.
The general consensus seems to be that turning the wireless option off saves about 30% of the power usually consumed.
Every little bit helps all you cynics.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can go round n circles with the power consumption thing. I recently fitted double glazing and was nearly convinced into getting A Grade windows which were a fair bit more expensive than B grade. Some tests showed that the efficiency gained from the upgrade could be rendered useless if for instance you left your door open while bringing in the washing  Shocked A recent test on the gadget show found that leaving a modern 42" LCD TV on standby for twelve months costs on average 79p for the year and adds very little co2 into the environment.
These are issues that can be solved by government and big business not the every day person IMO.
To quote a comedian who's name slips my mind at the moment "The public trying to do something about global warming is a bit like turning up at an earth quake with a dust pan and brush"
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
If the LED lights are similar to the v7 you will clearly see the wireless light go out when disabled. If I do that to my v7 the wireless isn't broadcasting so the hardware must be switched off.
The general consensus seems to be that turning the wireless option off saves about 30% of the power usually consumed.
Every little bit helps all you cynics.

So if this is true why don’t you buy a 240v router because you’re wasting all that electric because the power adapter steps it’s down to 12vor lower  It would save you more money if you took your car battery out and powered the router with that.  You wouldn’t use any electric at all.
Tell me please how much a led light in a router cost to run?
Puddy
Are you the type of person who drives around in the fog with no lights on just to save petrol