cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585V8 and WPS

gmoseley

TG585V8 and WPS

I'm trying to extend the wireless range of the Tg585V8 router by using Netgear wireless powerline adapters but it seems that the V8 router does not support WPS (disabled with plusnet V8 firmware) and there isn't a firmware upgrade available that enables this function. Plusnet no longer supply the V7 router which does have this function enabled. Other than buy another manufacturers router which may cause problems with support if there are any line faults etc. does anyone know where I can get a firmware upgrade that does have WPS enabled.
I have spoken to Plusnet support on this and they can't help which is very dissapointing as I would imagine that this is a fairly common request for users with large houses or premises and Plusnet would realise this and provide an alternative. I have been very happy with Plusnet up till now and recommended it to several others but without this feature which has been removed I could not do this again.
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: TG585V8 and WPS

HI gmoseley,
If you use this telnet command this should enable it...
:wireless wps config ssid_id=0 state=enabled
Jojo Smiley
gmoseley

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know the results
barbaradixon

Hi - could you please advise me how to use the telnet command as I to want to use WPS to wirelessly connect my hifi via my Thomson Router. My PC is Windows7. I am trying to connect a Netgear WNCE2001 WPS adapter added to the hifi.
Barbara
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

On Windows 7 (and Vista for the record) the telnet command is disabled by default so has to be enabled (just once). Then a Command Prompt window has to be opened.
The first section of this Community Support Library article covers those stages.
At the prompt in the Command Prompt window you then enter
telnet 192.168.1.254
You will be asked for your router's administrator username and password. Assuming the router is a TG585v8 these will be:
Username: admin
Password: CP..... (the router serial number from the label on the underside, all letters in capitals).
You should now see a line-diagram logo followed by a prompt.
At the prompt type the command posted by Jojo.
Then type exit to logout and exit again to close the Command Prompt window.
Hope this works for you. Smiley
David
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The instructions for a Netgear WNCE2001 (here ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNCE2001/Documentation/IG/WNCE2001_IG_28JULY2010.pdf) state very clearly how to install it without WPS.
barbaradixon

Thank you for your advice. I will give it a go.
Regards
Barbara
nickthedentist

Quote from: Joanne
HI gmoseley,
If you use this telnet command this should enable it...
:wireless wps config ssid_id=0 state=enabled
Jojo Smiley
I know this is an ancient thread but...
Thank you very much Jojo!  Cheesy
I just picked up on of these routers new in its box in a charity shop for £2 - less than PlusNet charge to send you a "free" one.
The telnet command line worked a treat, and I now have a router with WPS enabled and a button that lights up orange when pressed.
This enabled me to get my BT Home Hotspot to "clone" my router's SSID and wireless key, something that can't be done without WPS.
Thanks too to David/spraxyt for the explanation - I couldn't have done it unassisted.
Nick
nickthedentist

EDIT - deleted double post, sorry