cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 v8 lights

jdmac
Grafter

TG585 v8 lights

Hi there, have been having internet usage problems with the TG585v8 and after logical deductions, it seems it is now the router! Have tried everything including using another router, using the other router things work fine.  My question is on the TG585v8 should the wireless button on the FRONT of the router be lit?  If so, then mine isn't and I fear that this might be the problem!  I can't recall whether this was lit previously!  Only had router a short while, so will be covered under warranty.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TG585 v8 lights

Have you checked if the wireless is enabled via the web interface.
I don't know about that router but is there a button on the front which disables the wireless
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That button isn't usually lit so I'd not expect that to be a problem.
As you've tried another router I'm satisfied that it's probably faulty and needs replacing so I've arranged that for you. The new one should reach you within 3 working days.
Just out of interest have you tried a factory reset?
PS could you elaborate about what you mean here please?
have been having internet usage problems
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jdmac
Grafter

Hi there, thanks for your help and for sending the new router.  Yes did a factory reset - take it by that you mean the button on the back of the router?  In terms of internet problems - http 1.1 bad requests, http 400 bad requests, unable to proceed with online shopping in the secure bit, using aol email.  but all of this is rectified when I'm using the other router!  Even took my laptop along to my dads to try there and it worked fine there.  this has all been going on for about 4 weeks, thought it was just an aol problem initially then christmas came so did nothing about it, gradually got worse.  was on verge of doing a complete system restore until I took it to my dads!  cheers
jdmac
Grafter

To Adam Walker - hi there, I've received a BT returns envelope but no replacement router as yet.  Is it on its way?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I would have expected you to receive the router together with the returns bag. I can see I dispatched the router on the 3rd so I've ordered a new one for you.
Sorry for the delay.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jdmac
Grafter

Hi there, received the router last week and was only able to get it set up yesterday afternoon (sunday).  Today is Monday morning and I'm experiencing the same problems again.  Its like the router can't keep up with what is being asked of it!  Nothing else has changed, so it has to be the router supplied.  I take it the tg585v8 is just crap (well certainly get that impression from other posts on the forums! 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jdmac,
Looks like there's been a few disconnections on your line, even with the new router. Does it still drop connection (or at least show the same problems you've been experiencing so far) with just the router plugged into the test socket? The test socket is behind the front plate of the main phone socket where your phone line comes into the house, which should be in two sections. Remove the two screws from the bottom section and gently pull it outwards straight away from the socket and you'll see the test socket behind it.
If the connection still drops there then you've proved it's a fault on the line, which we'll need to investigate for you - if you run through the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net we'll get it sorted.
jdmac
Grafter

It is not the phone line or socket.  As you can probably read from the history of this post, I have used a spare router that my father had and it works PERFECTLY fine it is only when I plug in the TG585 v8 (including the new one) that it goes to pot!  So doesn't take a genius to work out that it is the tg585v8!  I can see from many other posts on the forum that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems!  The disconnections you are probably seeing is me switching if off at night - , which you might see from the times are around about the same time!  No investigation required, just a better router!  Which might I add, I'm probably tied into a contract for a router that I am unable to use!  there must be some sort of breach of contract on Plusnets part with supplying something that doesn't work but holding the customer to a contract!  Are plusnet considering changing router supplier at any point in the future?  Have no idea why you decided to change from dlink to Thomson as the dlinks worked great!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We're trialling some alternatives at the moment, not everyone has such problems with the 585v8 I'm just sorry that you have.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team