cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

Rac3r
Newbie
Posts: 5
Registered: 03-09-2012

TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

I have a Thomson Router (TG585 vCool, but no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to open the right ports to be able to host games (It needs NAT Type set to 1).
I'm very familiar with port forwarding, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.
Open browser, 192.168.1.254, Game & Application Sharing, add Label and ports, assign to MAC Address
If I don't use UPnP but use the open ports method, it's always NAT Type 3.  If I enable UPnP, NAT Type will be 2.  I want NAT Type 1, which online tutorials say is possible by opening certain ports.
I even tried opening ports 80 - 30000 TCP/UPD to quickly see if it would help.  It didn't so I quickly disabled that setting.
I read a post saying version 8 of my firmware could be the issue, I just thought I'd check here for confirmation.
Thanks in advance, this isn't a critical issue just would be nice if we could resolve this.
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Posts: 6,346
Thanks: 31
Fixes: 5
Registered: 26-11-2011

Re: TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

lowlatency
Grafter
Posts: 81
Registered: 18-01-2013

Re: TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

The only way to get NAT TYPE 1 is to set your router in bridge mode to connection type PPPOE(connected straight to the internet without the use of firewalls) with your username and password and that also has to be done on your PS3 through the network settings aswell by entering your @plusdsl username and password
The only down side is you have to keep switching the setting on your router if you want other devices to connect through the internet  back to PPPOA
BUT giving the fact that plusnets routers dont give you hardly any options i probably say you will have to use a different router Roll eyes
I hope I haven't embarrassed myself otherwise  Lips are sealed
Rac3r
Newbie
Posts: 5
Registered: 03-09-2012

Re: TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

Quote from: Chris
Hi,
Have you tried this:
http://community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xb...?
I was unable to get this to work.  The tutorials were dependent on Windows7/8.  I'm an XP User.
Quote from: lowlatency
The only way to get NAT TYPE 1 is to set your router in bridge mode to connection type PPPOE(connected straight to the internet without the use of firewalls) with your username and password and that also has to be done on your PS3 through the network settings aswell by entering your @plusdsl username and password
The only down side is you have to keep switching the setting on your router if you want other devices to connect through the internet  back to PPPOA
BUT giving the fact that plusnets routers dont give you hardly any options i probably say you will have to use a different router Roll eyes
I hope I haven't embarrassed myself otherwise  Lips are sealed
Thanks for your advice too, I will try this method when I get a better router.  I have one at a friends house, just need to get it back.
Thanks again Chris and lowlatency, really appreciate the help and advice.
shure
Grafter
Posts: 509
Thanks: 1
Registered: 21-01-2013

Re: TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

just to add with a different router you won't necessarily have to to set your connection type to PPPOE.  I use a Netgear router and get Nat Type 1 with PPPOA.  I set my PS3 and Xbox to fixed IP addresses and set up port forwarding and it all works fine usually.  As long as your router has a reasonable level of user configuration you should be fine
edit.  Should add that I'm on ADSL.  No idea whether things would be different on Fibre (shows my level of knowledge Wink)
Rac3r
Newbie
Posts: 5
Registered: 03-09-2012

Re: TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

Ok.  Luckily the router I'll be retrieving is a Netgear.  So with your comments and my knowledge of the router being very adaptable, I'm fairly certain this will work.
Just a shame the router Plusnet supply is poor.  There isn't even a DMZ option.
Service: Excellent  (1 prior problem, fixed immediatly.  The problem was my fault)
Speed: Excellent (1.4mb download speed which is about a 12mb connection)
Price: Excellent (£12.49 for unlimited usage)
Community: Excellent (Very helpful, staff and non-staff)
Router: Poor (Limited options and the port forwarding didn't work for me)
I'm a happy customer, very satisfied with choosing you.  Grin
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,976
Thanks: 375
Fixes: 16
Registered: 10-06-2010

Re: TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

Quote from: Rac3r
Quote from: Chris
http://community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xb...?
I was unable to get this to work.  The tutorials were dependent on Windows7/8.  I'm an XP User.

Only the part about installing the telnet program is specific to Windows Vista or later. I guess XP contains telnet as standard.
shure
Grafter
Posts: 509
Thanks: 1
Registered: 21-01-2013

Re: TG585 v8 Port Forwarding (Playstation3 NAT Type 2)

Quote from: Rac3r
Ok.  Luckily the router I'll be retrieving is a Netgear.  So with your comments and my knowledge of the router being very adaptable, I'm fairly certain this will work.

well, mine's a Netgear DG834PN so if yours is similar and you need any help configuring give me a shout. Cool