cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 v8 No Internet connection, but phone line ok

rstallion

TG585 v8 No Internet connection, but phone line ok

I have logged a fault with PN about this, but with two teenagers at home asking every hour if the internet is back-up I'd welcome any advice.
Internet connection dropped last night about 10.30 pm. Router powers up fine and establishes local network, but the internet light goes green for about 10 seconds, goes red briefly, then off completely. Same cycle every 45 seconds to a minute.
Tried factory reset of router, still the same. Left Router off for 8 hours through the night and rebooted - still the same. Logged on to network to check settings on the Gateway and tried to connect through that - again no joy.
Phone line definitely okay and clear.
I have a 2WireBT Business Hub 2700HGV that I can use, but do I need specific instructions/settings to get online using this?
Any help appreciated!
15 REPLIES 15
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: TG585 v8 No Internet connection, but phone line ok

Good Afternoon rstallion,
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your internet connection.
I've double checked for any service outages in the area and nothing is being reported. Checking the line, there are a small amount of errors there but nothing that would prevent you from being able to authenticate onto the system.
The automated test that was carried out when the fault was raised has put it through as "No Sync" - At any point has the DSL light been flashing at all? It might be an intermittent sync problem that you've got, as apposed to an authentication one.
It's likely that you've done everything already from your side to try and bring the connection back up, so might a case of waiting for the faults team on this one. Unless you've not tried a different filter yet?
Regards,
Matt
rstallion

Unfortunately I am at work today (with Internet Access!) hence I have been able to log the fault.
The same thing happened before Christmas, and switching the router off overnight seemed to resolve the problem.
I can try changing the micro-filter when I get home, but does it need to be one from Plusnet, or will any microfilter do?
Also, where on the website can I check the status of my fault as I can't find anything and I've had no emailes or text messages from the fault team to update me.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I have a 2WireBT Business Hub 2700HGV that I can use, but do I need specific instructions/settings to get online using this?

You will need to configure it with your PlusNet username & password. How that is actually done on the 2700 depends on the firmware version since in principle it is 'locked' to BT. This site gives all the details http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quote from: rstallion
but does it need to be one from Plusnet, or will any microfilter do?
Also, where on the website can I check the status of my fault as I can't find anything and I've had no emailes or text messages from the fault team to update me.

It doesn't have to be a Plusnet supplied one, they all do the same job 😃
With regards to seeing the progress of the fault ticket. If you head over to http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=questions ; this will give you a list of all your open support tickets, one of which will be the fault one.
Hope this helps,
Matt
rstallion

Cheers Matt and MisterW.
Matt, do you know how long I'm likely to have to wait for an update from the Faults team? As I say, my kids have been pestering my better half all day!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I would suggest firstly, just plug in the 2700, with a new filter and check if that gets DSL sync ( Broadband light on ). If you get DSL sync then configure it with your plusnet details, if not then you've got a basic problem ( not a router issue ) and you will need Plusnet faults to progress it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quote from: rstallion
Matt, do you know how long I'm likely to have to wait for an update from the Faults team?

Usually within 48-72 hours (worse case scenario). I can't specify exactly though unfortunately!
Hope you're able to get it back online soon 😃
Matt
rstallion

Useful chat to PN support by phone last night (after 40 minutes on hold) confirmed the issue is not internal with my wiring, but soulnds like an issue with the exchange. Awaiting Faults team action now!
Checked the line with the other router and as with the TG858 the broadband light remained on, but the internet light was solid red.
Thanks for the help and advice.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Checked the line with the other router and as with the TG858 the broadband light remained on, but the internet light was solid red.
That means it's an Authentication issue and not a DSL No sync problem!.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rstallion,
We're currently running test on your line and as soon as we've completed these we'll update you with our findings.
Have you tried a factory reset of your router?
rstallion

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi rstallion,
We're currently running test on your line and as soon as we've completed these we'll update you with our findings.
Have you tried a factory reset of your router?

Duh no never thought of that -  of course I did!
Fault team useless. Support on telephone on Sunday confirmed it was an exchange fault and I didn't need to try another router. Fault team reply was to try my other router!
Thanks to MisterW my BT router was actually quite easy to try, and needless to say I couldn't connect with that either. Updated Fault team by text.
Went out at 11 am today and when I came back in at 3 pm my connection was restored, but no word from fault team to say what had been done.
Perhaps it's time to move to a different supplier?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such a negative experience with our Faults Team.
I can understand your frustration,we just like to be 100% sure that all the relevant internal checks have been completed before progressing to our suppliers.
You've not had a response from our Faults Team as you have replied a few times and each response will push the Fault Ticket to the back of the queue as we work the oldest tickets in our pools.
If you have any specific feedback in the way that your fault was handled, would you be able to PM that to me. We're always looking for ways in which we can improve the service we provide you.
rstallion

If the Faults team ask me to try the other router, what am I supposed to do? Reply so they have an update and go to the back of the queue, or do nothing so I get a prompter response? What a stupid way to run things.
Add that to the fact that the helpful customer care rep I spoke to on Sunday night had already confirmed that all the relevant tests had bee carried out, and that it was an exchange problem that the faults team would get on to.
I still don't know if the issue was resolved by the faults team, or whether it just sorted itself out. I would prefer to know so that if it happens again i know what to put on my fault report.....if I'm still with Plusnet!
jim:quote
rstallion

Now got a message from Faults Team apologising for not getting back to me sooner, and saying they are glad the problem is now fixed, but no explanation of whether they actually did anything or whether the matter resolved itself!
I've asked them to confirm if they did anything as I'd like to know before I allow the fault to be closed for future reference.
If they got BT out to the exchange to fix it, then fine, but I'd prefer to know that.