cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 V8 and wireless bridge

PAPED
Dabbler

TG585 V8 and wireless bridge

I did have a linksys router and a second connected as a wireless bridge to supply internet to a desktop and NAS both of which need port forwards from the internet, however my main router has gone faultly so I though I would try the free router provided by PN again and I have got it working and the bridge is functioning is OK regarding DHCP/DNS and getting service to the internet. But I am wonder if anyone has a similar set-up and has managed to get port forwarding from the internet (or "applications and gaming" in TGG585 speak) working?
My problem is that I want to port forward HTTPs to my NAS. I turn the NAS on and it gets the correct DHCP address (set to alway give the same) and shows the NAS MAC address, I set up the application and gaming port to forward HTTPs and it shows in the TG585 as being there but when tested does not work (see comment below). But after the NAS (or the computer on the bridge - it has the same issue) goes in to power save the TG585 see's the bridges MAC address as the NAS and assigned its IP address to it even though the bridge is a separate static IP address this also seems to remove the application and gaming setting from the NAS details which are still shown on the router but as a "static IP address" when they are not its MAC is the DHCP assigned IP address.
I have tried:
Adding the bridge as a DHCP reservation to it own MAC address - does not help (to be fair DHCP cannot be used by the bridge though as it does not have a DHCP client option...)
Adding the port forwarding in to the firewall config - still not working
Tried static and DHCP setting on the NAS/PC on the bridge, still does not work.....
It is just as if the TG585 is not handling the bridge's connection correctly and getting confused as it should based on the MAC addresses see the bridge as the static address which it is and the others as their respective DHCP leases which they get from the TG585....?
In additon I am not sure if this a connected or not but presume it is - all https traffic seem to default to the TG585 routers GUI even though I have turned off remote access etc?

Thanks in advance for any idea's as I am thinking that I may need another linksys router this week if I can't sort..... (PS happy with Telnet commands if needed)
2 REPLIES 2
PAPED
Dabbler

Re: TG585 V8 and wireless bridge

RESOLVED - Well working, however the GUI is still confused but I found that by:
1) Setting the devices to Static IP's (on the devices themselves not in the router)
2) Adding the devices (via Telnet) in to the routers DNS as hosts (this also allows you to use the host name on your network which for the bridge attached devices was also not working)
3) Adding them to host manager manually (again via Telnet)
After doing the above I can now add a port forward (games and applications) in to the router with the "user defined" option for the bridge connected items, which allows an IP Address rather than a "device" to be inputted and it seems to hold on to that IP Address even through a reboot cycle and I can get to the device on the required service/port from the internet.... so time will tell but I think it is sorted....
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: TG585 V8 and wireless bridge

There was another thread recently which touched on pretty much the same issue.
As you have done, for reliability you are always better off configuring port forwards directly to IP addresses rather than MAC addresses or other device identifiers. On a straightforward single network it matters little however as soon as you start putting in bridges the whole thing can easily go to rats as most bridges are anything but transparent..
Mathew