Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n with USB query

TORPC
Grafter

TG582n with USB query

Hi all
I am new to PN and so far seems superior to my previous ISP and also saving over £17 a month for the same package
Does PN still supply the above router ?Huh
If so
Is it available for purchase ?, If so, how much ?Huh
How up to date is the TG582n USB router ?Huh

Can the USB be used for networked storage device(s) IE: 3 x Partitioned External HDD, ?Huh
Is the firmware as good or better than the TG582n without the USB option ?Huh
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: TG582n with USB query

The version of the router supplied for ADSL users does not have a USB port.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

From a reply on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120104.msg1046829.html#msg1046829 it would seem that Fibre ones now don't have a USB port either!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

1)Is it available for purchase ?, If so, how much ?Huh
Don't know if you can get one from plusnet but there's plenty available on ebay.
Don't get a O2 branded one though, they are locked and can not be used on plusnet.
2) How up to date is the TG582n USB router ?Huh
Don't know how to answer that.
3) Can the USB be used for networked storage device(s) IE: 3 x Partitioned External HDD, ?Huh
Yes but the transfer speed is not great, around 2.5 MBps in my tests.
Some high capacity drives need more current than the TG582 can supply,  a powered hub or self powered disk may be the answer.
4) Is the firmware as good or better than the TG582n without the USB option ?Huh
It's the same.
TORPC
Grafter

First of all thank you all for your swift replies
Quote from: jelv
The version of the router supplied for ADSL users does not have a USB port.

In the thread listed by MisterW 
Quote from: MisterW
Neither ? I thought all the Fibre ones had USB ports ?
At least we've confirmed that the fttc f/w works without a USB port.
Surely the ADSL firmware would/should work on the FTTC USB TG582n
Quote from: MisterW
From a reply on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120104.msg1046829.html#msg1046829 it would seem that Fibre ones now don't have a USB port either!

Quote from: npr
Don't know if you can get one from plusnet but there's plenty available on ebay.
Don't get a O2 branded one though, they are locked and can not be used on plusnet.
2) How up to date is the TG582n USB router ?Huh
Don't know how to answer that.
3) Can the USB be used for networked storage device(s) IE: 3 x Partitioned External HDD, ?Huh
Yes but the transfer speed is not great, around 2.5 MBps in my tests.
Some high capacity drives need more current than the TG582 can supply,  a powered hub or self powered disk may be the answer.
4) Is the firmware as good or better than the TG582n without the USB option ?Huh
It's the same.

1) Better of getting the PlusNet TG582n then  to be ont safe side Smiley and reflash accordingly
2) I think that you answered in 4)
3) The Partitioned USB 2.0 HDD is powered by mains12v - 5v, therefore in theory may produce better Read/Write speeds

Alternatively is there any budget priced router that can utilise all 3 Partitions on a external HDD that could be recommended
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Surely the ADSL firmware would/should work on the FTTC USB TG582n
Yes, early ones supplied for ADSL did have USB ports and it's pretty safe to assume that the ADSL f/w would be ok either with or without a USB port.
Up until recently, ALL FTTC versions has USB ports and so it was unclear whether the FTTC f/w would insist on having a USB port. In reality the h/w is the same, I suspect the ones without USB just don't have the physical connector but the USB chip is actually present, and so I suspected the f/w would be ok and that seems to be the case.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TORPC
Grafter

jim:quote
I suspect you are on to something there, and will do some testing (if I get 1 at the right price)  Wink
How would I tell the difference between the early ADSL USB and the latter FTTC USB ?
Would a FTTC have a RJ45 as the ADSL have RJ11 connection ?
Quote from: npr

Would the same apply to the Tesco branded TG582n or are they unlocked ?
Some are coming up with Compatible with TalkTalk so guessing they will be unlocked ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

For FTTC one of the Ethernet LAN ports is used as a WAN port which you connect to the FTTC modem using a standard Ethernet cable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

Thanks Jelv
I can safely assume then the TG852n FTTC is used inline with the BTOpenreach Modem, making the RJ11 connection dormant ?Huh
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: TORPC

3) The Partitioned USB 2.0 HDD is powered by mains12v - 5v, therefore in theory may produce better Read/Write speeds

A word of warning about self powered USB enclosures, I've just returned one to Amazon because it kept making my router reboot. The problem was caused by the enclosures power supply giving out lots of RF interference.
You can test a power supply for this fault by placing it next to a am radio, if the RF is noticeable then the power supply is a dud and may well cause broadband / router problems. In my case the enclosures power supply totally drowned out the radio station. Where as my branded laptop power supplies gave no audible interference on the radio.
Note:
The same test is useful for laptop power supplies, some of the cheap ones also have this problem and do cause broadband issues.
TORPC
Grafter

Thanks for the extra advice npr  Smiley
Lucky enough I had already encountered and dealt with REIN with my previous ISP and can safely say that the 2 I have here does not have that issue, however it is worth noting, when making further purchases in the future. Standard Partition
The 1 is a lacie 500GB bought from Asda approx 21/2-3 years ago.(less than £60) I think it has a Toshiba HDD if memory serves, Standard Partition
The other is separates and contains a 1TB WD HDD (forget which model)in a 3.5 HDD Universal Sata / IDE External Box (can not remember the manufacturer, and does not say on the casing) but got 5 stars on the front that lights up in blue. bought approx 2 years ago from 2 local computer shops (less than £80 for both) 3 x Partitions
And they never let me down
Edit
Striked out text was in wrong place