cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n wireless dropouts

pjemmanuel
Grafter

TG582n wireless dropouts

I've been on FTTC for a few months now, with very little to complain about - except for this TG582n router.
The usual problem I get is that wireless stations get booted frequently. I have to reboot the router at least once a week to keep everything talking nicely.
I have had repeated issues with my Mac and iPhone losing the ability to sync over wireless and trawled the net for solutions and got nowhere. Then, when I had to do a router reboot - all working again. What I thought was an Apple problem, was in fact a TG582n problem.
Now today, one of my wireless stations - a Panasonic Blue Ray/Home Cinema box has dropped off the network and is refusing all attempts to reconnect. I've tried manual settings - it was originally set up on a fixed IP address; auto settings, where I just have to enter the encryption key; and finally, using WPS. The set top box can see the network, good signal, goes through all the motions of connecting, shows as connected, but upon testing, has no connection to the gateway.
I didn't have all these problems with my old Netgear router and this TG582n is just too high maintenance for my liking. The choice of other routers out there is overwhelming and I wondered if anyone has already taken the step of swapping out this frankly terrible TG582n router.
My needs are not extensive, the router wish list would be: -
    1) Compatible with the BT modem
    2) Wireless (AC would be a nice to have)
    3) Gigabit ethernet - 3 available ports minimum (5 would be a nice to have)
    4) A sensible configuration page, the Technicolor is dreadful, but then I am used to Netgear...
Anyone got any recommendations?
Phil
8 REPLIES 8
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: TG582n wireless dropouts

Asus RT-AC68U, or if that's a bit pricey an TP-Link Archer C7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

If you're an apple house, look at the airport extreme..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I thing the Airport extreme is a little extremely priced  Cheesy
I've heard mention of the Asus before - is this the router with the vulnerability?
How easy is it to set these up to replace the Technicolour in the setup?
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Phil_E

I've heard mention of the Asus before - is this the router with the vulnerability?

It was patched IIRC, but it will run alternate f/w like dd-wrt etc, which I would recommend on any router these days, then at least if a vulnerability is discovered you know it will be patched in a timely fashion.
How easy is it to set these up to replace the Technicolour in the setup?

Very easy. They have a simple to use web interface.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

OK, probably done something stupid - been out and bought a Netgear N600 Gigabit cable router - I can manage without AC. I almost bought a Netgear with AC, but I am not prepared to pay full retail price for a box that has already been sold, returned and marked "Previously Owned".
I have a bit of prep work to do, as I have a number of devices on fixed IP addresses, but will be doing some configuration later today. Are there any things I need to watch out for, or is this really as simple as connecting the router to the modem, then log on to the router and put in my Plusnet username and password?
What about the address range? Does the modem get it's address from the router DHCP pool or am I stuck on the 192.168.1.? sub net? I usually move the third octet away from .1. Is this possible without breaking everything?
Phil
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Netgear routers usually use 192.168.0.1 for their IP address, but it's usually configurable. Other than that, yes, pretty much as you describe to set it up.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Didn't think it would go smoothly. Modem connected, router on, but not connecting to the modem. Been sat there for ages, can't seem to log into router set up pages until Internet is connected.
Is it possible that my line is locked to the router ?
Phil
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Never thought I would ever say this again, thank goodness for Windows.
Now managed to access the Netgear setup pages, Safari will not render the interface at all.
Connected again...