Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n - why don't I see problems on wireless connectivity

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

TG582n - why don't I see problems on wireless connectivity

This is a semi (well a bit less than semi  Grin ) serious question
The router is located in the entrance hall (actually by the front door but entrance hall sounds posher) and the wireless signal is fine throughout the house as shown by no gripes about iphones, android tablets, etc. having problems connecting
Could this be down to the fact that there are a distinct lack of other wifi signals in the vicinity (the nearest is another TG582n)
Note that given my connection speed can loosely be described as mediocre to moderate wireless speed drops probably wouldn't be noticed only loss of connection
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: TG582n - why don't I see problems on wireless connectivity

The perception of "problem" depends on expectations.
I too have never had any real issues with the TG582n over wireless - indeed aside from a lan over power device, all my connections are wireless.  Here back at home there are a few other networks around, but generally that is not an issue.  In the past I've run a whole pub (including the customers streaming Sky GO) over wireless on a TG582n without issue - granted that there were few other WiFi networks around.
What though might be common to us is that we are on slow ADSL lines and thus the WiFi speed is not perceived to be a limiting factor to our enjoyment - a wired connection is unlikely to be able to deliver better performance as the WAN rates are so slow.
...anyhow, ain't you got enough issues without worrying about those you have yet to get?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I haven't had any issues with the wireless either. It's switched off Roll_eyes
In seriousness I think what people complain about as a problem really isn't. For those on fibre that are saying getting 'only' 30mbps over wireless wouldn't matter for normal browsing, yes it would slow downloading a bit but to the point it's worth shouting about probably not.
I've got an AC device providing my wireless and hit the full 65mbps on my line but for browsing it's as fast as the 35 on the old netgear..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've used the TG582n for a few periods of time on my home connection (8Mb ADSL until a couple of weeks ago), and never noticed any problem with wireless in side or out side of the house.  The router is under the stairs off the hall, and my office is up in the loft.  The router I used most of the time until it died a week before FTTC was being installed was a Billion 7800, and on the wireless front we never noticed any difference.  Trust me I'd have known if SWIMBOs phone or laptop suffers!  There are a fair few wireless connections around me, but they are mainly bunched together around the default, so it wasn't too bad to find a quieter range.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shure
Grafter

I don't know, I'm on ADSL "Max" and I didn't have the best experience with the TG582n.  As a modem it would invariably drop the connection several times in one day, while with wireless I found that the (admittedly thick) walls of my Victorian house meant that anything further than a room or two away suffered a noticeable drop in performance.  Gaming (Xbox) was a chore, too.  I changed to an old Netgear DG834PN and my connectivity problems disappeared overnight: I never once lost connection for six months and then only because I had to reboot for an IP conflict issue.  I also found that wireless signal strength improved, despite the Netgear being an older "g" model, with a much more consistent signal over a much greater area.  Having said that, I wouldn't say that speed improved, more consistency and fewer dropoffs.  The main improvement was definitely on the modem side where the TG582n seemed reluctant to hold a connection.
Now I've recently purchased an Asus RT-N66u and I realise just how comparatively poor the TG582n was.  Speeds on my wireless devices have improved massively, while range and strength have bettered even the trusty Netgear, with the few remaining black spots in the house disappearing entirely.  And when my son downloads his movies the rest of the house can still Skype etc with no drop in performance, which I originally put down to us having a snail-like 7MB line.  Now I can imagine that the Asus would better an older, "g" router but the fact that the latter was so similar performance wise to the "n" rated TG582n shows just how poor the Plusnet supplied router was.  And I also live in a rural area with few neighbours and where elephants go to die.
Maybe the TG582n is only good when there are few demands placed upon it?  E.G. with a line that has no noise on it or one that is close to the exchange (although I'm only 388m away), or with houses with low interference?  But I found it wanting both as a modem and as a router.  I have no regrets that I changed!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Someone should make a long and detailed tutorial on how to use Microsoft Network Monitor on Windows, or Wireshark on Linux, to capture the wireless level traffic and hopefully provide some more useful data to see what's going on over the wireless. Unfortunately I'm not volunteering.
IIRC some of the people complaining had less than 1Mb or intermittent wireless connections, it's not just people complaining about not getting the full 77Mb score on a speedtest website over wireless. I'm not even going to dig out any old threads or even the whitewash test results thread. Just search for e.g. wireless site:community.plus.net on google.
It will most likely remain a mystery why the 582n wireless doesn't work well for some people, and eventually at some point in the future, plusnet will have some newer technicolor model to dish out to anyone complaining about it, so then even fewer people will care about it.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

From what I have found, if you are in a wifi clean area then you have no issues. If you are in a noisy area (like mine & others) it just can't compete with BT or TT routers, they win 100% of the time.
I get a stronger signal from the HH across the road (~20m away) than I did with the 582 in the SAME room.