cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n warm reboots.

theflat69

TG582n warm reboots.

Hello,
I am experiencing serious problems with my router. Basically every 5 minutes it decides to do a warm reboot. In the logs, it is described as
Jan 1 00:00:14 KERNEL Warm restart
Of course, it resets the time every time it does it, but after a couple of minutes, it syncs with the ntp. When the reboots occur, there is no serious load put on the router- a smartTV idling/watching youtube on wifi, a laptop on wifi playing LoL and a desktop on ethernet.
I have already reset the router, rebooted it, let it cool down for 15 minutes and then booted it up, everything. The warm reboots occur randomly, when examining the logs, I couldn't find anything outstanding that might have set the reboot off, usually it's just some firewall post about blocking something a few minutes earlier or sometimes even the last event before the reboot is the ntp syncing.
This is quite irritating, having this sort of a thing happen to our household 5 times in a row during a Saturday.
Is this happening because the router is overheating ? If so, is it overheating due to the computational load or due to transmitting ? Because I have different wireless-G router with Tomato, which is rock-steady, that I could use for basic routing and use this one just as a wifi-n access point. Although it would still be bottlenecked by both of the routers having only 100mbit ethernet ports. What's the point of having 801.11n standard with a maximum bandwidth of 150mbit/s if the ethernet ports are capped at 100mbit/s ?
Or is it happening because the router is plainly a worthless piece of excrement?
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: TG582n warm reboots.

How warm does the router get? Mine is on 24x7; its case is slightly warm, definitely not hot. It does occasionally self-restart, but normally only when the error counts become very large. Presently it's been up 41 days.
The behaviour you describe suggests to me that the router is faulty. Is it still under 12 month warranty?
David
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: TG582n warm reboots.

A 'warm reboot' it not caused by the device over heating, it refers to the type of reboot.
A warm boot is a reboot where the power stays connected to the device, bit like doing a restart on your computer.
A cold boot is a reboot is where the device has had power removed and start from a powered off state.
What you need to do is look at the log entries leading up to when the warm reboot occurs.
My TG585 v7 was prone to warm boots.
Dan