cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n runs very hot

ChrisCR

TG582n runs very hot

I have a new TG582n and it runs very hot.
Measured at 51degrees C on outside bottom of case.
This seems a reliability issue and a fire hazard, is this normal?
Chris
13 REPLIES 13
Heloman
Grafter

Re: TG582n runs very hot

Sheesh!
No it's certainly not normal. Mine's been running 24/7 for months, and is just barely warm.
Sure there is no way that the ventilation holes at the top could have become blocked?
ChrisCR

It's brand new out of the box, holes are fine.
Chris
BRABUS
Grafter

I have just scanned my TG585 and that is 40.1 on the top and 49.6 underneath.  This is sat on a hard surface with clear ventilation above and below so it is not that different to yours.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just spoken to our hardware guru and he's said that the router should be fine running at that temperature but you should always ensure there is ventilation around it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ChrisCR

I have checked the temperature of my old Netgear router and it's 35C, but a Netgear DG834V4 is 50C, so maybe the TG582n is not unusual!
Still seems high to me given that's the outside temperature.  The components must be even hotter.
Chris
BRABUS
Grafter

Some components inside you pc can run in excess of a couple of hundred degrees - quite scarey really.  Luckily if the heat sink or cooling devices that normally cool these fail then normally it cooks the chips before anything catches fire and in doing so kills itself and powers itself off.
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Since the operating temperature is presumably related to power dissipation does this not imply an increased power consumption compared to a similar device that runs cooler? Surely you would expect a newer device to use less power not more. Or is simply a matter of poor design and inadequate ventilation?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

A probably ignorant question, but here goes!
Might ambient temperature have some effect on such matters?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@custos - Yes, but also they may well have smaller chips which will run hotter at the same voltage so it could go either way really.
@lucerne - Yes it will, but only in that you'll never get anything to run cooler than the ambient temperature unless you have some sort of active cooling (probably a bit overkill for a router, I will admit).
JamesM
Grafter

When I had my Technicolour, I had it laid against something so the router sat at 45 degrees so the holes at the bottom were not against anything.
brueton
Grafter

Just had to return a TG582n to Amazon. When I took it out of the box both the top and bottom of the case were distorted due to overheating. Either I was sent a secondhand unit, I paid for a new one, or it was damaged at the factory during testng.
My mum will have to wait a little longer for a new router.
Pete
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: BRABUS
Some components inside you pc can run in excess of a couple of hundred degrees - quite scarey really.

A bit of an exaggeration unless you have some remarkable technology in your PC Brabus  Wink
There aren't any silicon ICs which will operate at over 200 degrees (C). The normal specification is around 125 degrees absolute maximum and generally they will be running a long way below that - usually 70 degrees is a good safe limit. Still pretty hot of course and able to burn your finger but unlikely to start a fire.
There do seem to be a few reports of hot-running TG582ns for some reason. Mine is sitting on the flat top of a wooden cupboard and although it's a bit warm I wouldn't call it hot even on the underside. It feels as though 1 or 2 of the chips might be quite warm but the case itself is (I'd guess) maybe around 40-45 degrees or so.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
BRABUS
Grafter

I was actually right whilst also being wrong  ;D.   I had just googled some component temperatures to make my point and it seems I had been looking a F and not C.