cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n remote access

47hill47

TG582n remote access

I maintain some PCs on a remote site using LogMein.  Before changing to PlusNet, I was able to log into the Draytek and Netgear routers when necessary.
Is it possible to access the TG582n on an ad hoc basis.  It appears to me that permission has to be given locally which times out. 
I'm sure the techies at PlusNet know the answer, but the official line is "we do not support advanced networking".  Very helpful.
Thanks,
Geoff
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: TG582n remote access

Any chance you could supply a bit more detail? LogMeIn should work fine using our routers, so could it be that the broadband firewall is turned on? (You can turn that off in the members centre part of the Plusnet website, most likely it'll be turned on on the company account).
If it's not that, then are both your own and the companies' connections with us and at which end are you having the problem?
47hill47

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.
I don't understand what you are saying.
I use LogMeIn without any problems to access the PCs.
With other routers, once you have enabled remote access, you can get into the router settings using http:// IP Address (as provided by Plusnet).
In the case of non-fixed IPs, I use no-ip.com.  Your Thomson router does not appear to allow permanent remote access, it appears to time out.
Regards,
Geoff
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, beg pardon, sorry - hadn't realised it was specifically remote access to the router control panel that was needed. It's definitely possible to do, but I think you need to enable it via the router's telnet interface - I think Phil (Richardson) will be along shortly to explain how.
47hill47

Thanks
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Geoff,
The remote assistance of the router is designed as a technical support aid and is not intended to provide a dedicated method of accessing the router remotely.
This can be done though and I recommend this only for advanced users.
WARNING:
First, ensure you change the default password for your router before proceeding to enable this function. Using your default password is not recommended whilst it is exposed to the internet.
To enable remote admin, you need a telnet client to connect and configure this. I recomend putty for this.
1: In putty, tell it to connect to the host 192.168.1.254, set connection type to "telnet" and then click Open
2: The username you need to type is "admin" (no quotes), hit enter at which point it will ask for your password. You should enter your password that has been modified from default.
If the screen vanishes at this point, the username and/or password has been rejected. Putty will close its window by default when the connection closes, which is what happens if the authentication fails. Restart the login process until you can continue passed the password prompt.
3: This will open a command window to configure router. Simply copy the string below (including starting colon) and paste it into the putty window. You can paste with the keyboard combination SHIFT+INSERT. You should then hit enter.

:service system ifadd name=HTTPs group=wan

4: Type "saveall" (no quotes) and hit enter
5: Close the putty window or type exit.
This will enable the secure HTTPS server on the internet side of the router, in addition to the LAN side. e.g
https://your.plusnet.ip.lan/
47hill47

Thanks for that Phil.
That is more complex than I expected, but will file away for when I need it.
Why don't they make it simple like Netgear and Draytek.  It would appear that this router is not meant for use by enthusiasts.
Regards,
Geoff
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe not applicable in this scenario but I use LogMeIn to access my home PC from work, I can then use that connection to access the router (exactly the same as sitting at the home PC and accessing the router web interface using the home PC's web browser).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.