cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n redirected webpage very slow

richardlane

TG582n redirected webpage very slow

Hi
Having just got my new Technicolor TG582n I have been looked at some of the features and noticed the Parental controls.
I decided to redirect a website that I didn't want the kids to use anymore but afterwards I found that browsing to any new web page slowed down in general.  Basically, I'd enter a new URL, hit Go and wait for 10+ seconds before anything happened.  I disable the redirect and everything speeds up again.
I would expect the redirected site to take a bit longer to load but why should totally unrelated sites suddenly slow down?  Sad
Regards
Richard.
10 REPLIES 10
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: TG582n redirected webpage very slow

It's a known bug Sad
From Technicolor's customer release notes R8.4.3
"Services - Parental Control / Web Site Filtering
Using Parental Control, i.e. URL-based, or content-based filtering, negatively impacts the Technicolor Gateway
download performance."
http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7446
IMO you would be better using opendns for web filtering.
richardlane

Hi npr
Thanks for the reference.  One strange thing in that PDF is that the TG582n is not listed?  Certainly what I am seeing agrees with that reported known issue though. I haven't actually gone down the upgrading the firmware route yet as I only got it out of the box a few days ago.  I wonder if a firmware fix is available?
I notice that that doc was released in April 2011 so I'd be hoping that 2 years later the firmware may be fixed.
Looking at the length of the list of known issues I am kind of wondering why this is the branded router that Plusnet have gone with.  I went with Plusnets recommendation because I thought it would make things simpler and it was bundled for nominal fee.
I am not familiar with other redirection approaches so I will look into that.
Regards
Richard.
edrandall
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Any update on this? 
I just got a new TG582n after my Thomson TG585v7 died, the parental filtering was always slow on that but I hoped the new one would be better.  Alas no.
Is there a firmware patch?  Or is it just a slow processor?
I've used OpenDNS but it isn't ideal.  Because of operating system DNS caching, changes don't take effect right away.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

No updates, but as far as the caching goes, disable the DNS Client service on the machines.
You may also want to consider setting up parental control software (e.g. Naomi, K9) or a second router/gateway between the machines and your primary router (if you go with the second router choice, it doesn't have to be a fibre router as it won't be actually connecting to your PlusNet service, just routing traffic to your primary router (I've got 3 normal ADSL routers (TP-Link and a Netgear Rangemax) doing this on my networks, along with a couple of switches etc)).
Depending on your OS, you can also use Microsoft' SteadyState;
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ukschools/archive/2007/11/25/windows-steadystate-for-pc-management.aspx
See also;
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Set-up-Parental-Controls
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

use ms live family safety software from Microsoft live
each person needs an mail address and its customizable per person (with parents getting control and alerts if you set it up that way) it also allows for control over email contacts time based controls and activity reporting.
a very good system that you can load in via an admin account and password protect the install so it cant be removed Smiley
a not as good option is mcafee all access which also provides the same controls on pc's and android devices but strangely not on apple or windows mobile devices ....

url filtering is best done via a connection shareing server unless you want it to be heavily impacting on your connectivity
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
edrandall
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the tips, the second router idea has got me thinking.
I used MS Family Safety for a while but frankly it was a pain, I was constantly adding exceptions for false-positives and the scheduling is poor.  Plus it won't work for the smartphone.
I've tried other free software and found them to be either no longer maintained or only weakly supportive of what I need to do, in any case the filtering needs to be done on the router not each PC.  Smartphones are always going to be a problem for end-device filtering software.
OpenDNS is OK so far as it goes but again rather unsophisticated.  It doesn't let me schedule different types of blocking for different users at different times of day.
Also I can't control the DNS cache on little darling's HTC phone, I'm not convinced that disabling the DNS cache is going to do a great deal for my own browsing speed either.
Some router manufacturers seem to be getting the message that half-decent parental controls are actually wanted now.
I'm looking at Netgear - which integrate with OpenDNS,  and TP-Link  - some models have timed access filters so you can filter different sites at different times of day and by device MAC address.  This seems like it might be a viable solution.
I found this page on TP-Links website but can't find out which models it apples to: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=350
Has anybody tried the TP-Link TD-W8968?  
The acid test is something like "can I block facebook, youtube and BBC iplayer access from particular devices only between 18:00 - 20:00"
I expect I will end up writing my own and running it on a raspberry pi slotted in there somehow  Cheesy
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't know about the routers your asking about there,
billion's 78XXXXX series certainly do have time based url filtering options and there largely sucecssfull but as with anything the url's have to be added manually,
I use a combo of mcafee all access (only works on pc's and android smartphones / tablets) and a url filter in the billion, I couple that with ms live family safety on the pc's
unfortunalty there doesn't seem to be any way of enforcing rules on iphone/ipod/ipad products without spending exorbitant amounts of money buying apple specific app's  (mac's will run mcafee all access which does give a good general level of protection)
if your bothered about what they can access though then you have to stop them taking there mobile out of the house .......or any home firewall /server based solution is rather pointless........
if you cant get the level of protection via an app that cant be uninstalled or modified then whatever you do configure at home will be bypassed simply by utilising mobile data plan instead of the wifi access......

with 3 teens I've been learning that a lot of the problems are almost impossible to overcome, and it  gets worse when there school gives them ipads which i'm not allowed to install filtering software on and the school has deemed it my responsibility to ensure they don't access anything they shouldn't.....bloody hard to do when they don't provide any oversight options but instead declared "were covered by passing everything though our school server, you as parents will have to do the same at home"....how the hell do they expect the average parent to setup and run an access server at home which can actually block app acess to certain websites without blanket blocking the app's acess to the internet (most apps subvert all filtering options as I've been discovering)  but insist the ipads must be used to do homework (which requires internet research)
if your able to find a way to do everything without resorting to telling the kids the problems and trusting them to follow your instructions your doing better than most
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: npr
It's a known bug Sad
From Technicolor's customer release notes R8.4.3
"Services - Parental Control / Web Site Filtering
Using Parental Control, i.e. URL-based, or content-based filtering, negatively impacts the Technicolor Gateway
download performance."
http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7446

Is this still an issue in the R10 firmware?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't know, I haven't seen a "Technicolor release note" for R10 firmware.
Also I didn't stay on R10 firmware long enough to test that Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The technicolor release note for 10.2.1 is here: http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7727 (it doesn't mention parental controls / url filtering).