cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n problems

koala

TG582n problems

I'd appreciate any advice on using this router.  My previous TP-Link router got fried by lightning and I can't get this Technicolor one to do anything I am used to doing.  I have a homeplug network and a directly wired webcam.  The router shows all these devices just as "Unknown-Mac Address"  e.g. Unknown-0c-80-ff-8b-3e-ae  Even the homeplugs and a netgear switch are shown in this way.  I cannot define any NAT rules to forward requests to the webcams.  I can define the incoming port range I want to use and the translated port but the router refuses to allow me to assign this to one of these Unknown devices.
The firmware says it is 8.4.4.J.  I have read that Windows is needed to upgrade the firmware and I don't have any windows devices.  Would a firmware upgrade let me do any more? Why are all my devices "Unknown" ?  Any help appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: TG582n problems

The device name takes some time to get picked up by the router.
You can still do port forwarding using the devices MAC address:-
This may help http://npr.me.uk/pf/
If you don't need port translation leave the "to" box blank.
koala

Thanks for that link.  It describes pretty much what I've been doing.  But when I get to the last step where one is trying to assign the Application to a Device it allows me briefly to select the "Unknown" device and then almost immediately replaces it by the name of the Mac I am using. I cannot select the "Unknown" device and then select Add.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Is the device switched on and connected?
Try disabling UPnP.
I find PF performs better with these routers if you:
Do not set a static IP address in the device's own settings.
Do ticked "always use the same IP address" in the routers device settings.
Which ports? Check they don't conflict with any the router may be using,
eg the routers FTP server for content sharing etc.
jorvikmik
Grafter

Are these router reliable - 3 of us recently swapped from plusnet bb only to bb & phone on bt lines and were given new TG582N as part of deal.  Mine developed a fault after a couple of weeks where the power light goes orange after a few minutes and router doesn't work. One neighbour swapped to their new router less than 3 months ago and is now giving bother. It appears to do a complete reset after power down. The 3rd user hasn't tried hers yet but we are wondering if there has been a bad batch of these units.
I purchased a Draytek 2820 for my own use as I require 24/7 access to the internet and was told these are a reliable model.
Phoned the helpline at 08:30 and as it is now  almost 09:05 and I am still in a queue. 
Unfortunately we all paid 12 months line rental on my advice so I'll get some stick from the others.
09:10 phone cut off - not looking hopeful
re-dialled and this time it gives waiting time of 30 minutes which in my book is a over an hour - and we used to complain about bt
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: jorvikmik
I purchased a Draytek 2820 for my own use as I require 24/7 access to the internet and was told these are a reliable model.

Until the power fail we had yesterday my TG582 was showing somewhere around 40 to 50 days continuous connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
koala

Thanks again npr.  I already had UPnP turned off.  After a lot of messing about I have finally got it to "talk" to the Webcam.  I had to edit the device under home network, tell it to always use the same IP, define it as a laptop computer and give it a name that isn't Unknown-something.  Now the router is doing port-forwarding.  Intuitive it aint!!
jorvikmik. I've had several of these TG582n routers. I've never had any reliability problems, but then I hardly ever use them.  They usually go into a cupboard for emergencies.  Unfortunately the new router I bought last week was faulty and had to go back.  So I've been forced into trying to get this one to do what I want temporarily.  I really hope Royal Mail delivers my new one tomorrow.  A router that can't recognise homeplugs and switches isn't much use to me.
jelv. I used to have a Draytek.  It was nice. Unfortunately where I live power and phone line surges are very common.  I can't afford to buy new Drayteks that regularly.  I use TP-Link as they are reasonable and cheap.  Until now I've never had a problem with them. 
jorvikmik
Grafter

koala
I also use homeplugs and a couple of  MSS100 serial to ethernet adapters. I find the old Speedtouch 780WLto be a reliable cheap backup unit and keep a couple for emergencies, one of my spares has got my nieghbour back online today though he says he is wanting a faster wireless connection.