cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n having wireless connect problems :-[

CharlesCotham

TG582n having wireless connect problems :-[

Have a PlusNet Technicolor TG582n which feeds ethernet wired connections fine, but on the wireless side have problems both staying connected or even connecting with two different tablets and a phone. The signal strength can be excellent and still not able to always connect. It feels like it is more of a timeout problem than signal strength.
Sometimes connects fine, move to a low signal area lose the connection and might have half an hour next to the router with excellent strength to all of a sudden get the connection back. The lights for WiFi (and internet) are frequently going on / off crazy. The wired side stays working.
When first signed up to PN asked about the TG582n as heard it wasn't great. We were told that a better one was going to be available, but that was over a year ago. Now frustrations are getting to the breaking point.
Any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: TG582n having wireless connect problems :-[

Have you tried a Wifi analyser app with one of your tablets to find out whether you are using a channel which is very congested where you are?
e.g. > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your having issues with your wireless.
As JayG has stated its worth using a app to see if its on a crowded channel.
We have a guide on our website that shows you how to change the wireless channel below
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
If your still having issues after this let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Charles101
Grafter

Haven't tried, didn't know about, Wifi analyser app  Wink and will give that a try. Have changed channels when having low signal problems which helped on that but most of the in house locations not picking up other signals if do a search. When the devices are logged in a bit slow, but not too unreasonable. Just that difficulty of actually logging in.
CharlesCotham

Thanks for the suggestions about trying a Wifi analyser app which I didn't know about. Have tried that and now having changed the channel the whole thing is better.  Smiley
Getting better coverage around the house and when it has lost that it did log back in quickly. Early times yet, but maybe solved.
Thanks.
jeanners49
Grafter

I'm having similar problems.  In fact I had typed a post to the forum to that effect, and while I was posting the web page timed out.  I have a new router (Technicolour); how can I improve things?  Bear in mind that I'm not terribly computer literate, so if anyone relies to this, can you make it idiot friendly please?
Grin
Jeanners
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.
Can you try following the guide below?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
If there's any particular part your struggling with please let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gwgmw

I sympathise !
I joined Plusnet in September 2014 and received one of these units. At first it worked ( sort of!) but gradually slowed done till it stopped working. I received a replacement and that had intermittent faults. I had to use my old BT HomeHub 2  eventually, this works but it is a bit of a "dinosaur". After hunting through  the computer magazines and forums  I finally bought an Asus DSL-AC68U Modem/ Router which was very expensive but this unit is incredible in what it does. The it should be at 30x the price of the TG582n! I would advise you to consider a modem/router in the £50-75 range but get well known make. Incidently my wife's iPad Mini and Kindle ebook  can load audio books from Amazon and OneClickDigital in minutes instead of hours! As the old saying goes " you only get what you pay for". I would like to express my deep appreciation to Plusnets customer services for their help in the past, well done.
jeanners49
Grafter

Matthew Wheeler, thanks for the advice, but I've done that, been there.  However, what am I supposed to do when I get there?  Make changes?  If so, what changes? 
I must say it's very annoying to be sent a new router because the old Thomson one is unreliable, only to be sent one which is 100% worse.  It's really not good enough.
Sad
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The channel selection is currently set to automatic. Try changing that to manual, and choosing a different option to see if this improves matters.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team