cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n bridged mode

hydroxyde

TG582n bridged mode

Hi.
I've seen a few threads on the forum about this already, but most people seem to have configured their router in full bridged mode where you require a PPPoE client on a machine behind the router.
People who have previously been with Be may be familiar with the half-bridge mode that they suggest using for their multiple static IP product. I'd like to use this type of setup on PlusNet. In this mode, the router is basically just being a modem and passing all of the Internet traffic through one of the LAN ports. You then assign your IP address to a machine attached to that LAN port. (Yes, I already have a static IP allocated).
So, has anyone successfully configured the router like this?
3 REPLIES 3
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: TG582n bridged mode

From your description, I would conclude that "half-bridge" mode with a single IP address is the same as "bridge" mode - ie there is only one device connected to the modem-router LAN port.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

So, has anyone successfully configured the router like this?
I believe BE use IPoE rather than the normal PPPoE/PPPoA connection used by most ISP's. With IPoE the IP address is assigned by the ISP using DHCP or is statically assigned on the CPE.
In BE's case, the normal configuration for the router is for it to have the IP assigned and use prvate IP's/NAT for locally connected devices. In it's half bridge mode I assume it merely establishes the IPoE connection and passes any traffic directly to the LAN port. Whatever is attached to that port must themn either assign a static IP or use DHCP to get the public IP.
With PPPoA/oE the CPE establishes a PPP connection using a username/password and is assigned an IP as part of this process. A static IP in this case merely means that the CPE ALWAYS obtains the same IP but it is still assigned by the ISP during the PPP connection establishment. The normal PlusNet configuration for the TG582n uses your username/password to establish a PPPoA connection and uses private IP's/NAT for attached devices. When using the TG582n in bridge mode in this situation, it simply acts as a DSL modem and whatever is connected to the LAN port must establish the PPPoE session and will thus get assigned the public IP.
So basically you can't use it in the the way as BE but you can configure it in bridge mode and then have a machine get the public IP by using a PPPoE connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hydroxyde

Thanks MisterW. I hadn't noticed that they were using IPoE, so that explains quite a bit. I'd hoped to avoid having to run a PPPoE daemon, but never mind, that solution will do nicely.