cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n as a Wireless Bridge

Pazz
Grafter

TG582n as a Wireless Bridge

After upgrading to FTTC I have a spare TG582n lying around and want to hook it up to my Sky box.
I followed the instructions set out in this topic http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105905.0.html/ after running a forum search but having never setup anything like this before I'm struggling. I can't seem to get the TG582 to connect to my Asus router. I'm using the same wireless channel and have enabled WDS on the Asus router.
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: TG582n as a Wireless Bridge

Are you wanting to try and use the TG582n  as a wireless extender?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
c0c0p0ps

Hi Adam,
I would like to use my TG582n in this way.  As a wireless extender and have the ethernet ports active to connect to my sky box.  I currently have it configured with the TG582n as the master and a d-link 615 as the bridge, but want to swap the routers around as the technicolor is an extremely poor router compared to the d-link in terms of wireless range, and it's inability to handle around 15 wireless devices simultaneously.  I had fantastic range previously with the d-link and my virgin connection and since switching to plusnet fibre I am only able to get a decent signal and speed when next to the router in the same room.  It is driving me insane how poor the wireless performance of the router is so I really want to work out a way to use the TG582n as a wireless bridge / extender.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Are there any modem/routers that will run the wireless as a "station" or "client" instead of "access point". In the normal mode of operation this function would be redundant. Running as a wireless bridge often (usually?) removes the ability to run as an access point, for security reasons.
c0c0p0ps: If the 582n has a poor wireless capability, why would it improve if it were to run as a client/bridge?
The best way is to buy a dedicated "extender", probably available below GBP20 - my single port Edimax EW-7416 (11n300 capable, with "universal repeater" mode) was more than that  Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
c0c0p0ps

Hi PeeGee
All I need the TG582n to do as a wireless bridge is grab the signal from my main router which will again be my d-link, then repeat it over the ethernet ports so as I can connect my sky box and bluray player.  As I said at the moment I have it working the other way around using the TG582n as the primary router and d-link as the repeater.  The reason I want to switch them around is because of the poor wireless range and signal degradation from the TG582n.  At the router I get 73mbs wirelessly.  1 room away in my living room I only get 8mbs wirelessly.  I know from previously using the d-link as my primary router that the range is great around my entire home.  On my old 60mbs virgin connection with the d-link I could get 40mbs everywhere!  The range of the technicolor is so poor in comparison, but would be perfect to just sit next to my AV setup and feed my sky, bluray, etc.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Same but i want to do this for my Samsung smart TV, ICBA to get an 10m ethernet cable if i can use a spare technicolor 582n to extend network on WAN
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
PeeGee
Pro

c0c0p0ps: Can you confirm that the 582n/d-link are running in bridge mode - ie it is a dedicated link and rejecting all client access - or if the d-link is running as a "client station" in the same way as a laptop is a client? I suspect the latter, as the former would mean you can just exchange the units and they will continue to operate in the same way. In bridge mode it doesn't matter where they sit in the wireless link (and, very often, it is extremely difficult or impossible to use non-matching units Sad ).
(Un)fortunately, I don't have a 582n, so cannot say if it will operate in "client" mode, though none of the modem/routers I have used has such a feature "visible" to me (ie probably did not support it)  Cry
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
c0c0p0ps

I re-flashed my Virgin 615 with the dd-wrt firmware and followed their guide to setting it up as a wireless repeater bridge.  It now functions as if it is invisible to the TG582n and all devices connected to the d-link are assigned their IP address from the technicolor.  From the firmware on the d-link I can choose whether to broadcast another SSID for wireless access or just use it via the ethernet ports.  To set it up I simply had to tell the d-link to log onto the network from the TG582n, ensure that all the security matched and the channel was the same.  I cannot find any such functionality from the TG582n firmware to allow me to do the same thing with the positioning of the two routers in my home swapped!
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: c0c0p0ps
I re-flashed my Virgin 615 with the dd-wrt firmware and followed their guide to setting it up as a wireless repeater bridge.

Right, not seen that terminology before (not that I've had extensive wireless network experience!). That's what many companies seem to call a wireless repeater/extender function. The dd-wrt firmware is "non-standard" I believe, so contains functions that the manufacturers would prefer required new hardware (why do people say I'm cynical?)  Wink