cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n Wireless configuration help

ToeKnee60
Grafter

TG582n Wireless configuration help

I'm trying to implement something similar to MAC address filtering on my TG582n fibre router (10.2.5.2 firmware).
It seems that the firmware doesn't actually implement MAC address filtering but I wonder if I could achieve something similar with the "Allow new devices" parameter in the Security section of the Wireless Access Point configuration.
This parameter can be set to "New stations are allowed (automatically)" or "New stations are allowed (via registration)" or "New stations are not allowed".
If I set it to "New stations are not allowed" will this still allow devices that have previously connected (i.e. those in the "Detected Devices" list on the Local Network Devices page) to re-connect or stop all re-connections?
What does "New stations are allowed (via registration)" do (i.e. what is the "registration" process)?
Currently I have "Security Mode" set to "WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK". Should I change this to "WPA2-PSK"?
Wireless devices that need to connect are a Windows 8.1 laptop (802.11n), Android phones, a Nokia Windows phone and a Kindle.
7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: TG582n Wireless configuration help

You can do what you ask with telnet commands.
Details here: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#macaccess
ToeKnee60
Grafter

Thanks npr.
If I set up a MAC address access control list using Telnet does it make a difference what the "Allow new devices" parameter is set to?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't know, the "allow new devices" never worked as expected for me so I just left it as "new stations are allowed (automatically)"
ToeKnee60
Grafter

Can I add a number of devices before the saveall command or do I need to enter saveall after every command?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Should be fine to make all the changes you need and then just do a single saveall at the end Smiley
ToeKnee60
Grafter

Thanks everyone.  Smiley
I've managed to track down a command line reference for the router here: http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG582n/v1/Manuals/CLI-Reference/TG582n-EN-r10...
It seems that there is a "name" optional parameter to the "wireless macacl add" command.
I presume that this is so you get a user friendly label to the mac address when you do a "wireless macacl list" command.
It also seems that the radio_id and ssid_id parameters are optional. I'm not sure what they would be used for in the context of this command. They both have a possible range of 0 to 9999.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I know that the SSID one is for the multiple wireless networks option, like having a guest network or (what I have set) a WEP secured one for compatibility with the Nintendo DS. NPR's site has details about that feature if you're interested.
That's RPM to you!!