cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n Why ?

waynem41
Grafter

TG582n Why ?

Why do Plusnet keep peddling  this router ?
All of the other " Big " ISP's seem to be always  updating their routers but Plusnet are still using this router that is now almost 3 years old and wasn't even considered cutting edge when it came out.
I had called customer services yesterday as my contract is coming to an end and was offered a " new upgraded " router if I stayed , I thought it might've been the Technicolor 589vnv3 but it arrived today and it was another TG582n , I won't even waste my time unpacking it and have called Plusnet to arrange return it as I know it'll be just as bad as the one I've got now.
11 REPLIES 11
x47c
Grafter

Re: TG582n Why ?

Cheap I suppose - and for the vast majority of their customers it's adequate/does what they want.
That and Plusnet probably got a ultra good deal for promising to buy x hundred thousand of them.
Bearing in mind BB in the UK is seemingly now just another commodity seemingly to be sold as cheap as possible at all costs then this is the end result.
Put out a decent unit, put up the prices and watch this forum go ape sh*t with the outraged hammering away at their keyboards.
Not a new phenomenon I'm afraid of bundled stuff being next to useless even outside computing. Buy say a wall light fitting and you can guarantee that the wall plugs and screws supplied will be the lowest quality (and likely to shear) - I never use them.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Also a lot of other providers lock you in to a specific router, PN allow you to use any you want.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
waynem41
Grafter

They must be getting these really cheap as no other ISP will touch them now.
I wouldn't mind being tied to using a particular router if it was at least half decent , I used to be with Sky many moons ago and had a Netgear DG834GT , as old as the Netgear is I still rate it above the TG582n.
What's the point selling upto 76Mbps fibre broadband and supplying poor quality routers ? I get 76Mbps down my line but have looked in the router details and have seen as low as 5Mbps actual wireless speed on the TG582n  Sad
Something else I have noticed ...... on the Plusnet main site in the packages info , if you click more details on the Fibre package and hover over the question mark on Wireless Router Included it says
"Get our latest 4 port wireless n technology router worth £40 "
Anyone know what router this is as the TG582n Fibre only has 3 ports available ?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I agree that it's a less than average router. However, I would rather enjoy excellent prices, superb customer service & put up with having to supply my own decent router. That way I have a limitless choice at the best price.
waynem41
Grafter

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh  Cry  I called Plusnet on Friday to arrange return of the TG582 , the CS agent looked into notes on my account and said the previous person I spoke to was new and it was a rookie error etc but he could send me a Netgear router instead which he claimed was a good router ( " never had any complaints etc " ) and would also send a return bag for the TG582.
In my account summary I can see a Netgear WNR1000 ordered on that day in the order details but I've just received another TG582 so I now have two of the things here that will need to be sent back.
P.s.
On the Plusnet main site in the packages info , if you click more details on the Fibre package and hover over the question mark on Wireless Router Included it says
"Get our latest 4 port wireless n technology router worth £40 "
The TG582n Fibre only has 3 ports available ? is it a typo or are they sending out the TG589vn to new customers ?
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

technically it is correct to say the TG582n has 4 ports.
it's just that only 3 of them are available to use after you have connected the OR modem.
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why not !
For the vast majority of Plusnet customers (including me), who I expect do not want to use any sort of customisable setting etc, it is fine.
After having troubles with my old TG585 Plusnet sent me a TG582n as replacement.
Using a Broadcom chipset, It syncs higher than the old one, the wireless range is better and it holds the line for weeks at a time, on my 47dB attn. line.
What more could the value seeking Plusnet customer want?  Smiley
People that want more from their router would probably prefer to select their own make and model anyway.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the item number that agents order for a fibre server is 'labelled' on Plusnet's systems as a WNR1000. However the one sent our by the distribution centre is - as it should be - a customised TG582n with USB port and different software.
If agents are describing it as a WNR1000 that is a training issue. But 'labelling' on Plusnet's systems (including service notice entries) needs to be fixes.
David
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

You shouldn't have been sent either.  The WNR1000 is there for legacy reasons. 😕  (It was the original trial Fibre products which came with the Netgear.  In the system, those components are now mapped to TG582n's so if we need to process replacements we don't need to do additional work.)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
waynem41
Grafter

Definately listed as both a Netgear and Technicolour in my account summary -
07/06/2014 HW311***** Netgear WNR1000 - FTTC £40.00 Buy

27/11/2012 HW248*****  Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router £40.00 Delivery

06/06/2014 HW310*****  Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router £40.00 Delivery

Stumpy , it may be fine for ADSL but I have 76Mbps fibre and  many claim it's not fit for purpose forhigh speed  fibre use.
I know I have a lot of devices connected to my router but fibre was sold as being ideal for mutiple users online at same time , Our ultimate broadband, designed for demanding users etc etc , the connection might be good for it but the TG582 isn't IMHO.
I can be watching a streaming video fine but as soon as my daughter comes home and turns on her pc the video will buffer / stutter or sometimes , when I look in the router webpage- Home Network info I have seen the  actual speed listed in single figures , as low as 5Mbps - Ideal for my 76Mbps line  Sad

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,
You are not the first person to mention poor wifi performance. I found the following from the TG582n manual. Not sure if it is current but the highlighted bit might explain your issue.
Connection speed
When setting up your wireless network, keep in mind that the following factors may have a negative impact on your wireless
connection speed:
 The obstacles (walls, ceilings,...) between the wireless client and the access point.
 Distance between the wireless client and the access point.
To fully benefit from the improved connection speed offered by the IEEE 802.11n standard, it is recommended to only connect IEEE 802.11n wireless clients to your Technicolor Gateway. Connecting older (for example, IEEE 802.11g)  wireless clients may also slow down connection speed of the IEEE 802.11n capable clients.
Hope this helps
Dan.