cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n Trouble

Clactonian

TG582n Trouble

Connected today to new high speed fibre broadband. Excellent speed with cable connection to desktop but cannot get any wireless connection to a Windows laptop 15 feet away (although it will connect next to the router)  or any connection to either my Macbook Air or iPhone when on the desk next to the router. Any ideas?
16 REPLIES 16
Gareth6
Grafter

Re: TG582n Trouble

Unfortunately the wifi on the TG582n is a little limp. There's numerous threads on here from people with the exact problem, Plusnet really needs to address this issue.
Clactonian

Thanks Gareth. Limp is one thing but no connectivity from one room to the next either side of a hallway is just ridiculous, and that doesn't explain why it will not connect to my Mac devices. The Technicolour website describes it as Mac compatible. I spoke with support this afternoon and they just washed their hands of the problem telling me to phone Mac support. Very, very disappointed with both the product and level of support.
Gareth6
Grafter

See my reply in the thread next to this one.  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Topics will move around as they are ordered by date/time of the latest post so you need to give a link to the topic.
The topic is this one: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107511.0.html
The reply is this one: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107511.msg920372.html#msg920372
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

and that doesn't explain why it will not connect to my Mac devices

I seem to recall in the past some issues with MAC's and long SSIDs. The default Tg582n SSID is PlusNet_wireless... and is quite long, try changing it to something shorter and see if it makes any difference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Clactonian

Quote from: MisterW
and that doesn't explain why it will not connect to my Mac devices

I seem to recall in the past some issues with MAC's and long SSIDs. The default Tg582n SSID is PlusNet_wireless... and is quite long, try changing it to something shorter and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the tip. Tried it, but to no avail. This is so frustrating. I can walk into any hotel or restaurant and I connect immediately. Buy in to a new system and nothing. Ridiculous.
8grosvenor

Having the same issues here, 5 year old D-LINk is being used because the god awful one provided has such an appalling signal!  The only way to fix it is to buy a decent make, D-LINk and NETGEAR are really good.  Really Plusnet shouldn't be providing such rubbish but it's been mentioned that they may be discussing sorting it out.....
Clactonian

Quote from: 8grosvenor
Having the same issues here, 5 year old D-LINk is being used because the god awful one provided has such an appalling signal!   The only way to fix it is to buy a decent make, D-LINk and NETGEAR are really good.  Really Plusnet shouldn't be providing such rubbish but it's been mentioned that they may be discussing sorting it out.....

Any action now is not a lot of good to those of us that have signed a contract in good faith only to find that we have to go out and buy more equipment.
It definitely doesn't perform as advertised. I wonder what Trading Standards would make of it. I certainly feel duped.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Never had or heard of that issue before, certainly my macs all work with the large Plusnet SSID.
Clactonian - the routers not using WEP as wireless security is it? Certainly OS X Lion doesn't play well with WEP.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Clactonian

Quote from: dvorak

Clactonian - the routers not using WEP as wireless security is it? Certainly OS X Lion doesn't play well with WEP.

No WPA + WPA2. Thanks for the idea.
dick:green Quote tags fixed.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Not looking forward to getting my TG582n now, I HAD to order one with the fibre order - no option to say no I don't want it. I currently use a HH2 so I might look into using it as a wifi point if this new router is as bad as has been stated on here (in several threads).
I assume that PN will REPLACE these routers if they are as bad as has been stated ? (although the router trial I was in earlier wasn't a fibre router so don't know if there are any replacements being sourced?)
Clactonian

Problem solved!! Hang the expense I bought an Airport Extreme. I now get 45Mbs download on my MBAir in my lounge which is on a different floor to the router and the opposite end of my solid old house. Anybody want a TG582n?  Grin
Rik13
Grafter

Quote from: Clactonian
Anybody want a TG582n?  Grin

No I have one in the drawer upstairs ..... It was Rubbish
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Rik13
I've just read about the problems you posted here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107463.msg918347.html#msg918347 I'm wondering if the problem with wireless connectivity might just be due to an issue with the router you received and not one that's inherent to the TG582n in general. Although I do understand you've moved on to using a different router now but we'd be interested to hear any other feedback about that particular router that you might have for us.
Also for ADSL customers using that router we do have a new firmware version available as per my post here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107463.msg921335.html#msg921335
I feel it would be really useful if perhaps you could dig out your TG582n and give that a try for us @Rik13 let me know if that's something you'd be willing to do.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team