cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n PPPoaA to PPPoE passthrough.

ENWOD

TG582n PPPoaA to PPPoE passthrough.

Hi all,
I've been trawling the internet and can't for the life of me find out how to do the following:
I've got an ASUS AC68U which uses PPPoE. However I'm currently not on Fibre broadband as it's not quite came to my area yet.
I've been looking into whether there is some way I can use my Plusnet Thomson TG582n to work as some sort of PPPoA to PPPoE bridge modem - I believe other routers call it PPPoE passthrough. Allowing me to use the Plusnet router as a modem which I can plug my Asus router into and use this as our router. I'm comfortable working with CLI commands and I'm reasonably certain this router is capable of doing this. If someone can point me in the right direction or talk me through doing this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Josh.
2 REPLIES 2
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: TG582n PPPoaA to PPPoE passthrough.

Welcome to the forum Smiley
Have a read of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129767.0.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jape
Dabbler

Re: TG582n PPPoaA to PPPoE passthrough.

Hi Josh,
If you don't mind spending some money, £13.50 to be exact, you might be better off buying yourself a new ADSL2+ Modem to use with your RT-AC68U.
I have just migrated to fibre and decided to upgrade my infrastructure some months prior to the change. I bought a Asus RT-AC56U from PC World, when they were around for just under £60, and a TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL Modem for under £14.
It was a doddle to set up and proved very reliable, plus I was enjoying the additional features of the Asus router. When fibre arrived the Openreach VDSL modem replaced the TP-Link and the Asus just plugged straight into it with no problems.
Have been enjoying a rock solid setup for a couple of weeks now and I'm really glad I bought the Asus. Your AC68U would probably have identical settings to my AC56U so go for it. You have the back up in the form of the TG582n if everything went Pete Tong.