cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n High-pitched Whine

apjashley1
Grafter

TG582n High-pitched Whine

My Plusnet router gives off a very high-pitched whine noise when powered up.
Normally I use a BT Home Hub but decided to give the TG582n another chance and instantly regretting it!
I have an autism spectrum condition which means I can hear sounds out of the range of most peoples hearing (e.g. electronic rodent/cat repellent devices) and the noise is driving me nuts!
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: TG582n High-pitched Whine

We can certainly get that replaced for you and we would be interested in getting your router back here for testing.
One concern I have regarding your condition is that you might notice the same with the replacement. If you want to try swapping it out for a new one anyway do let me know.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
apjashley1
Grafter

I noted on the "Have you replaced your router" thread that the whine noise only happens when the TG582n is actively connected to ADSL.
Is the general consensus that the FTTC version of the 582n (flashed with the ADSL version's firmware) is the fix for this issue?
Nacho
Grafter

Adam, I was going to reply to the thread below but thought I would post here.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113121.16.html
You supplied Razer with a flashed FTTC router to use on his ADSL line and he reports that it is silent - woohoo!  Smiley I experienced the same high pitched whine with my router from Day 1. I requested a replacement and it had exactly the same whine. Therefore I would be very grateful if you could flash another FTTC router and send it to me.  If you need my contact details then please send me a PM.
apjashley1 - myself and Razer (and a few other users) don't (as far as I know) have a condition like yours and we can still hear the whine, so you are certainly not alone.
Apart from the high pitched whine the router is otherwise working well and I have a great wireless signal throughout the house. If I can get one that doesn't whine then I'll be happy.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Nacho,
I've left you a voicemail detailing a few things, I'll arrange to get you a router sent out.
We'd like to get the routers back that you've experienced an issue with, obviously we'll wait until you've received your new one before arranging to collect your current ones.
Let me know when you've received the router, then if it's OK with you I'll arrange a courier to collect the whining ones.
Nacho
Grafter

Chris, I have received the replacement router and regretfully it whistles. In fact it’s worse than the old one so I have disconnected it and re-connected the old one.  Can you confirm the replacement you sent is a FTTC one flashed to work on ADSL? The reason I ask is you stated that this one would be Technicolour branded only, not Plusnet, and that the wireless name would be Technicolour. However, it is Plusnet and Technicolour branded, same as my old one, the wireless is called Plusnet and the log on cards say Plusnet. You also said this one would have a USB port but it doesn't.  In fact, it's practically identical to my old router, except for a sticker on the bottom warning to leave the vents clear.
Another poster - Razer - who received a flashed FTTC router from Adam Walker reports that his replacement router (which does not whistle) has slight differences to the original one, including a red sticker under the 4th ethernet port and a serial style number under the front lip.  He also mentions receiving an ethernet style cable in the box with blue terminals. Again the one in the box I received was just the usual ethernet cable with yellow ends. Razer did not receive any microfilters however mine did include these.
I appreciate your assistance in trying to resolve this but as you can imagine, I'm confused by the conflicting advice with the replacement router I've received. I'm also concerned that my speed profile will be affected by all the disconnections I’ve had through swapping routers around, not to mention the fact I still don't have one that is silent!
apjashley1
Grafter

Please can you send me a FTTC router as a replacement too?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@Nacho,
Not sure what happened there as I'm certain it was the Technicolour branded one as I mentioned, I'm shipping another one out to you today. Once you receive it if you could give me a nudge and I'll arrange collection.
@apjashley1
I've also sent one to you today, again when you've received this could you give me a nudge and I'll arrange the collection of your whistling router.