Grafter

Re: TG582n Firmware

Quote from: barkeyo
DEMO ONLY - Plusnet - ADSL - TG582n (without USB port) - 10.2.2.B
this is the version that I installed on my router last night

Thanks. Has it helped?
barkeyo

Too early to tell yet with regards to the wireless signal, but I also made the following modifications suggested by npr earlier in the thread.
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
wireless radio cdd=enabled
wireless radio stbc=enabled
Initial feeling is that the signal is marginally stronger and more stable, but I'll need to really put it through its paces over the next 24 hours or so and see. What the new software clearly does have is some additional options for configuring the device for Fibre (if or when you upgrade) and what looks like some fixes in terms of DCHP handling of IP leases. I'd suggest that primarily this is a release designed to combine the current seperate versions used depending on whether you opt for fibre or ADSL when you sign up, but with some additional fixes and improvements thrown in for good measure. Whether it'll ever be any better than simply getting a better router is probably open for discussion.
Graham21
Grafter

Hi Barkeyo
People don't write post to the forums when their router works ; )
I wouldn't go by how many bars you get on your client device. Can you do a speedtest and let us know how you get on? Or better still do you have a machine you could use as an iPerf server? Happy to help you with this - I'm not aware of how technical you are.
I'm still looking for routers that don't work as expected so that I can send to Technicolor for analysis.The two I have sent them came back as being OK.
Definitely you are not going to get 76Mb/s if the signal has to pass through walls or other sources of interference. I'm not aware of a 2.4GHz, 2x2 router that gets around this any better. The difference in the firmware (ADSL demo version only so far) is that it checks more often that you are on the best channel using a pretty sophisticated algorithm. Remember there are really only 3 useable channels in this band: 1, 6, 11 and  Inssider etc can tell you which other wi-fi routers are around, not how much they are being used or how well they are behaving.
The Thompson we used before had half the wireless performance that the 582n has. I don't have a 587v2 but it had 2 external antennas so you could move them around to improve the directionality independently of each other. That might have helped. I don't have one or I would do a comparison.
We are more than willing to send you an other 582n though if we can get yours back to test?
Best regards,
Graham
Moose666
Grafter

Quote from: Graham21
The Thompson we used before had half the wireless performance that the 582n has. I don't have a 587v2 but it had 2 external antennas so you could move them around to improve the directionality independently of each other. That might have helped. I don't have one or I would do a comparison.

I only upgraded last week so I still have the 585 v7 which definitely had better WiFi performance. Is that of any interest? It has a single external antenna.